Removing Basement Floor Tiles

Old 06-22-05, 11:07 AM
seagar
Visiting Guest
Removing Basement Floor Tiles

We have a very large basement that is covered with 9 inch floor tiles from the '50's. I am certain that they contain asbestos.

The floor was in great shape until the washing machine decided to flood the basement a few years back. Now a good deal of tiles lifted, but most remain steadfastly adhered.

At any rate the floor look awful. I would like to either remove, cover over, or whatever, to have the basement look cleaner.

Naturally due to the size, I would like to use a fairly inexpensive route if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-22-05, 07:43 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The only way to rule out asbestos is with a test. There are floating floor systems available today that can be floated over existing floor covering without disturbing it.

Old 06-23-05, 02:59 AM
seagar
Visiting Guest
Actually I was in a Toyota car dealership last night and noticed they had a rubber type of floor installed. It appeared to consist of 18" squares that interlocked to one another. The floor was gray and had a dozen or so embossed raised circles. There were end strips that attached to the squares where it met a door way.

This looked like it might solve my problem.

*** Does anyone know where this type of item can be purchased?

Old 06-25-05, 04:18 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glue the loose tiles back down with cutback adhesive and cover it with some new tile or some laminate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: