Sheet vinyl question (shrinking)

Old 07-06-05, 06:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sheet vinyl question (shrinking)

The luan under a sheet vinyl floor was damaged by water and I was able to release the perimeter glued vinyl and replace the luan. Now as i folded the vinyl back to reglue it, it appears to have shrunk. It is about 1 inch short of the baseboard. I have quarter round to place on top but it is not wide enough to cover this gap. Will a heavy tile roller stretch the vinyl enough to cover this gap. I never imagined that the vinyl would shrink. it is still attached on 3/4 of the floor.

Thanks,

Old 08-07-12, 07:40 AM
M
What about this?? Does vinyl shrink? I bought some rolled vinyl about a week ago and I am seeing some referance to it shrinking....

How does it shrink on the roll? Wouldn't it shrink as it sits on the large roll at the store?

Old 08-07-12, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Perimeter glue type vinyl does shrink after it is installed.
It was supposed to float if installed over an imperfect floor. It is rolled backwards at the mill so it won't shrink before installation. Felt backed and vinyl backed don't shrink.

Old 08-07-12, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In addition, the installers probably did their measuring and cut the stuff outside on a warm day, and brought it back in to a cooler environment. I have seen this on many jobsites. And people wonder why I don't do soft floors.

Old 08-08-12, 04:40 AM
M
Rolled backwards at the mill.... meaning pattern showing on the outside?

This came from Menards... Its supposed to be left floating or glued down... I really can't imagine leaving it loose... thats called a rug.

I laid a vinyl floor from a good flooring store using the yellow glue over the whole floor. The sheet was felt backed and it has help up beautifully. Its only been 5 yrs but it looks new still.

This new sheet I have wants me to roll this contact cement type glue on the floor using a paint roller and says I can reposition it as much as need... or something to that effect. What is your opinion on this new material? Its a rental house, so whatever, but I still want a super durable surface (hence going with the sheet floor).

Old 08-08-12, 06:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Just my 2˘ but we've gone to ceramic in our rentals - the upfront cost ends up being only a little bit more than vinyl but the marginal savings is pretty huge due to the significantly better durability.

It also makes it seem like the units are a little higher end, so we think the vacancy rate gets pushed downward just a touch as well.

Old 08-08-12, 09:22 AM
M
My biggest problem with tile is the floors in these old houses don't seem sturdy enough to resist cracking the floor.

Old 08-08-12, 10:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
That's plenty of reason to stick with vinyl

Old 08-08-12, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The vinyl backed vinyl, the ones you put the pressure adhesive down with a paint roller, probably will last as long in a rental as regular vinyl . I have loose layed hundreds of yards of it with no problems. The advantage to loose laying is when replacing. You just take up the 1/4 round and roll it up. No mess.

Old 08-09-12, 07:47 AM
M
Thanks sam. Have you done this type using full spread (or full rolled?) glue? I have read where loose lay is ok in most rooms except the kitchin or bath room, or where there could be wheel caster furniture rolling across the floor.

In either case, I had the same 'what about future replacement' question. How difficult is it to remove the sheet later using this pressure sensitive adhesive?

Old 08-09-12, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The vinyl comes up easy, but the glue is a bear. By the way, wheel casters void the warranty on all vinyls and most carpets.

Old 08-09-12, 10:28 AM
M
Interesting note on the warranty. Makes sense. Thanks again. I'll post when the job is done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: