Asbestos in Old Linoleum Floor

Old 07-08-05, 10:21 AM
michelle412
Visiting Guest
Question Asbestos in Old Linoleum Floor

I am looking for some assistance. We are in the process of purchasing our first home that was built in 1955. NO modifications or updates have been done to the home. We had the home inspection and the inspector mentioned that the thick linoleum in the kitchen and "laundry" area may contain asbestos if we were to rip it up. Ideally, I would like to do so as I would prefer not to have linoleum over top of it.

He did mention that if you were to do that, that once you start tearing it up the abestos becomes airborne, etc. I am wondering if this is something you can "do yourself" or if there are specific percautions that need to be taken to address the possibility of abestos. If we were to do it, it would be done immediately prior to actually moving everything in (ie we have a toddler).

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Last edited by michelle412; 07-08-05 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-05, 02:00 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As long as you do not disturb the floor covering, asbestos will not be a concern. You can cover the linoleum with 1/4" plywood underlayment for vinyl installation and install new vinyl or float in a laminate or engineered wood product over it.