Prep for putting vinyl planks on concrete

Old 07-09-05, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prep for putting vinyl planks on concrete

Good morning fellow DIYers!

I'm getting ready to put vinyl plank tiles (peel and stick) on a concrete floor and would like some advice on sealing/priming the concrete. I pulled up the carpeting that's been there 20+ years and the concrete looks pretty good -- smooth and dry. The vinyl manufacturer instructions say that the concrete should be sealed and/or primed. I'm wondering if it basic procedure to seal the concrete during construction (home is about 24 years old) and, even if that's so, does it need to be re-sealed. Should I just go ahead and prime it anyway? What kind of primer is used for floors? Regular primer that's used on walls (i.e., Kilz), or is there a primer made specifically for floors (and what's the difference?)

Also, I hope this isn't a dumb question but do i need to fill all those little nail holes from where the carpet tack strip was nailed down? If so, what do I fill them with?

If anyone has any tips or tricks they've learned while installing vinyl on concrete, I'd be grateful for the advice!

micha michelle

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-05, 06:19 AM
Help!

.... one more thing -- those little nail holes I asked about in my previous post -- well, turns out, they're not so little! Eveytime I pull up a nail, some of the concrete comes with it! Is there a better way to pull up those tack strips without damaging the concrete?? Should I just pull the wood out around the nail and pound it back into the concrete?

Last edited by Micha; 07-09-05 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-09-05, 10:12 AM
D
Go ahead and pull the nails. That's just how they come out. Fill with ardex sd-f. Prime the floor with clear spread tile adhesive. Spread it with a flat trowel and let it dry completely before placing any planks.

Old 07-09-05, 10:22 AM
Thank you Daniel!!

Will the dried adhesive give me better adhesion of the tiles?
Can you give me an idea as to approximate drying time? 2-3 hours? 8 hours? 24? And what drying time on the sd-f, which I would assume I apply and allow to dry prior to spreading the adhesive?

One more question - that I probably already know the answer to -- do I absolutely positively HAVE to take off the baseboards? (they're flush with the concrete).

Old 07-14-05, 07:31 PM
The concrete must be smooth. If you can feel it with your hand, your going to see it once the floor is laid.

Flat troweled VCT adahsive( clear spread) will flash in about 3o minutes, and then start installing. Pop your line with permanent chaulk, then spread the clear spread. The clear spread will clear out and be translucent and you will see your line clearly.