Clean old vinyl off concrete slab -- needs to be faster

Old 07-11-05, 08:28 PM
Exhausted
Visiting Guest
Clean old vinyl off concrete slab -- needs to be faster

(Apologies in advance for the length of this message -- My writing style is naturally verbose. I have read through a couple of hundred archived messages in this forum, and still need more help. I wanted to be clear on the exact situation and level of pain involved. If this is just normal for full-spread adhesive sheet vinyl removal, that information would also help my peace-of-mind )

We have a moderately large room that has had two layers of resilient flooring ful-spread glued to a slab and then a carpet glued onto that. Considerable effort over the last two days has managed to get maybe one fourth of the room down to the felt backing of the lowest layer. Current efforts, including heat gun work and razor scraping, involves roughly one hour of hard labor per square foot to get just the final felt backing off of the floor to a point where the floor could be sanded to remove the remaining glue. Please note that this does not include the time necessary to get down to the final felt layer...

At this rate, we will be working on clearing this floor for probably two weeks or more of dedicated all-day effort (assuming that we can maintain that level, which I doubt).

We are desperately seeking advice on ways to speed this process up. Heat guns provide a slight speed advantage (but melt the carpet if we're not really careful, even on low temp settings -- 450F). I'm not sure how to go about plywood underlayment to a concrete slab. Would you smear adhesive around, or is there some kind of magic concrete screw system (since the slab already has one minor crack in it, I'm not thrilled about punching a bunch of stress holes in it)

The lowest level of vinyl is probably from the late 60s or early 70s (so we're being as careful as possible about asbestos), if that helps any in dealing with the glues or types of vinyl from that period. The lowest level is kinda brittle, but becomes more pliable when heated. The second level (at least in the wear layer) is still kinda stretchy.

We are currently trying long term (multi-hour) soaking in water, just to get this last part up, but that doesn't help with the huge effort it took to get to that level.

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-05, 08:00 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I only had two layers of vinyl, but I rented a Hilti chipping hammer and used what they called a flexible chisel (about a 12 ga. piece of metal mounted on a shaft). This wide chisel was able to get under the vinyl and it worked great. From my manual method, I figured it cut my labor time by more than 75% and it was easier. Worth a try.

Old 07-12-05, 08:08 PM
T
The only way to know if you have asbestos in old floor coverings and adhesives is to have it tested. Asbestos is best left undisturbed and covered over.

Old 07-13-05, 04:17 PM
D
If 1/4 of it is remover there's no turning back now. If you can get it to the felt flood it with water (within reason).

Old 08-06-05, 01:07 PM
party of five
Visiting Guest
Removing backing and glue

When we removed our old heavily glued linoleum, it left the backing and we started with scraping and decided that it was going to be too much labor so we used the adhesive remover gel and brushed it over the backing, let it set for a few minutes and then it easily scraped up. You will want to ventilate the area very well and try not to get it on your skin because it tends to burn. Within the hour that we started we had it stripped clean. Hope this works for you as it did us

Old 08-06-05, 05:06 PM
And they just think we charge too much to remove it!!

I hope other that read this understand it is hard physical work, to remove sheetvinyl.

I'm not understanding what the reference to <b>"I'm not sure how to go about plywood underlayment to a concrete slab. Would you smear adhesive around, or is there some kind of magic concrete screw system (since the slab already has one minor crack in it, I'm not thrilled about punching a bunch of stress holes in it)"</b>

Sounds like someone has walked you down the road to a complete failure on your next floor!!!

I wouldn't request anymore misinformation from the person that suggested you place wood underlayment, over your concrete.