Building new bathroom

Old 07-24-05, 10:31 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building new bathroom

I am building a new small bathroom within the walls of my exsisting home. The room is striped to the sub floor and studs. I am considering what kind of flooring to use. Should I use vinal or sheet cement board? I do not want to use tile. If I use vinal I am planing on using hardi backer but is the backer nessassary for the cement board sheet floor?

If the floor is built up with backer board will I need to raise the height of the toilet outlet which is currently level with the sub floor?

Old 07-24-05, 12:26 PM
S
Why not tile?

Old 07-30-05, 08:21 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you have wood subfloor and you want to install vinyl, then it is recommended that you install 1/4" plywood underlayment for vinyl floors to provide a super smooth underlayment. If you install ceramic tile, you will need to install the recommended concrete underlayment board. If so, you can use two wax rings to reset the toilet.

Old 08-01-05, 06:40 AM
R
I have decided to use EDGE flooring. It is tile that installes like laminate and does not require any backer board. It's floating type design and can be completed in just a few hours. 40 Sq.ft. cost about $200.00, not to bad for tile.

I will be doing mu other bathroom in the future and it tends to be much more wet from the kids, what do you recommend for this?

Old 08-01-05, 04:44 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There is waterproof laminate available that has a plastic core. Water penetration between planks to subfloor can cause problems. For areas that may be exposed to splashing and splattering of childrens' baths, ceramic tile or vinyl are the best options.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: