Self Stick vs. Non-self stick vinyl tile.

Old 08-29-05, 10:11 AM
rarmandi
Visiting Guest
Self Stick vs. Non-self stick vinyl tile & Dealing with concrete

I plan to vinyl tile a living room, small hallway and bedroom (on the same floor) equaling about 550SF onto concrete floor that previously had carpet and carpet padding over it.

Question is, what are the pros and conns with using self adhesive vinyl tiles versus doing it the old way with a trowel and buckets of adhesive. More specifically, which lasts the longest and is most durable - I assume the old fashion way done on a concrete floor is best.

I understand that the concrete must be free of hydrostatic pressure, clean (dust free, etc.), dry and sealed. I also understand that the floor should be primed with a special type of latex first before installing self stick vinyl tiles. Also, priming/coating with latex is not recommended for using flooring adhesive (from a bucket) on (I assume the adhesive would destory/eat thru the latex coating).

Another issue I have found out is that I am not sure if the concrete floor was actually sealed. How do I do this? Would the latex coating (let's say from Armstrong) work to both seal and prep the floor?

Please advise. Thanks. V/R, Mr. A

Last edited by rarmandi; 08-29-05 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Wrong syntax
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-05, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Latex sealer and primer are basically the same thing. What your going to need is a product like ARDEX SD-F to encapsulate the all the left over conaminates in the pours of the concrete, and to smooth the surface imperfections.

I perfer the gluedown method for a lasting installation. But I also use the glue, only flat trowelled on, for peel & stick tiles too.