Vinyl Tile Gaps- how to fill

Old 09-10-05, 08:21 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Tile Gaps- how to fill

The title says it all. Can I put a paste grout in? (1/16" in some places) or cover the entire floor with a gloss polyurethane-like sealer that would also fill the gaps? And trade names that might work? (I am concerned about compatibility of the tile and sealer; either marring the surface or not sticking.)
Reading other threads, be very careful about buying low-end tiles. Some are not the exact same size. And on some the glue will cause the tile to move (next to the wall) creating a gap. (I know!)
Any advice on filling or sealing is much appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-05, 05:18 AM
F
Originally Posted by tommyM
The title says it all. Can I put a paste grout in? (1/16" in some places) or cover the entire floor with a gloss polyurethane-like sealer that would also fill the gaps? And trade names that might work? (I am concerned about compatibility of the tile and sealer; either marring the surface or not sticking.)
Reading other threads, be very careful about buying low-end tiles. Some are not the exact same size. And on some the glue will cause the tile to move (next to the wall) creating a gap. (I know!)
Any advice on filling or sealing is much appreciated. thanks.
Most people use some type of shoe, quarter-round, or chair moulding to cover the gaps at the base of the wall. All the floors in my house have chair moulding along the floor, with 5/8" quarter round along the base of that.

As far as gaps between the tiles, I prefer using silicone caulk because its very workable and won't crack. The flexibility of caulk makes it ideal for both appearance and functionality. There are a ton of colors of caulk, but generally black and white are suitable depending on the color of your vinyl tile.

Grout might work, but grout as you know dries hard and is prone to cracking. Removing, cleaning, or refinishing 1/16" of grout is going to be more likely to damage your tiles than caulk.

Just my $.02, but I am a little biased. And I have no idea about the polyurethane sealer.

Old 09-16-05, 06:34 AM
Sounds like a waste of time to me!!!!!

What a mess your going to end up with!

Live with it, or remove and redo it right this time.

Vinyl tiles will ALWAYS gap over time, as platicizers are released.