Self stick tile smell?

Old 09-17-05, 07:17 PM
Acana
Visiting Guest
Self stick tile smell?

Hello.

I have a question.

In April my husband layed commercial grade self stick tile in our kitchen and dining room. It has a 10 year commercial warranty and a life time residential. It's really thick as well, we paid about 1.70 per foot.

Everything has been fine with it. It looks wonderful. However, it has started to....smell?

I wash my floors daily now - I HAVE to.

I can wash them at night, and by the next evening they have a horrible, strong vinyl odor to them. Thats all I smell when I walk into the kitchen - vinyl - REALLY STRONG VINYL ODOR. It is driving me up the wall.

I guess I'm wondering if some tiles can be "porous" and maybe they're just wearing down to a point where they are releasing something?

Why would they smell so strongly?

I'm down to the wire - I've even cleaned them with Spray 9 - Shhh - don't tell my husband.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 11:49 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acana
Hello.

I have a question.

In April my husband layed commercial grade self stick tile in our kitchen and dining room. It has a 10 year commercial warranty and a life time residential. It's really thick as well, we paid about 1.70 per foot.

Everything has been fine with it. It looks wonderful. However, it has started to....smell?

I wash my floors daily now - I HAVE to.

I can wash them at night, and by the next evening they have a horrible, strong vinyl odor to them. Thats all I smell when I walk into the kitchen - vinyl - REALLY STRONG VINYL ODOR. It is driving me up the wall.

I guess I'm wondering if some tiles can be "porous" and maybe they're just wearing down to a point where they are releasing something?

Why would they smell so strongly?

I'm down to the wire - I've even cleaned them with Spray 9 - Shhh - don't tell my husband.
All vinyl tiles have some type of distinctive odor, though I would rarely consider it unpleasant. I've used four types of Armstrong vinyl tile in my house, and they each have a different odor. Only one is unpleasant, and it dissipated within a day or so.

I don't know the sensitivity of your nose, but if the odor is distinctly vinyl you're going to have to wait it out. What you need to do is simply let it alone - don't wash, don't do anything. If you have any gaps between the tiles, use silicone sealant to inhibit the smell from the adhesive.