Questions on my VCT install...

Old 09-26-05, 06:16 AM
Zora7404
Visiting Guest
Questions on my VCT install...

I have been following this forum and have spent an eternity reading old posts. I am installing VCT in the entry way from our garage of our basement rec room. About a 9' x 20' area. The area has plenty or corners including a brick surround for the coal stove. The area was carpeted and trashed from coal dust, which is the reason for the change. There is a framed subfloor with a layer of plywood and 7/16" particle board subflooring over top, much of which was damaged and lifting due to pets. Here is what I have done so far...

Replaced all bad areas of subflooring with same thickness OSB. leveled surface. Installed 1/4" hardwood underlayment in opposite direction staggering joints with 1 inch narrow crown staples with a compressor. I left about an 1/8 " gap between the joints and 1/4" at the corners. I didn't feel I needed more since this is the dampest time of year.
Here are my questions...

Do I fill the gaps I have left in the underlayment with leveler?

Is it necessary to use the Armstrong floor primer to help the glue bond?

What is the best way to make difficult cuts as the brick surround is an octagon shape?

Do I need to use a floor roller to seat the tiles? The instructions show the use of a rolling pin, but I am reading about people using a 100lb roller. Actually, I don't even know where I would get one as the only local rental shop closed.

After installation, how long do I need to wait to walk on them? What about during installation? Can I put plywood down over top to distribute the weight?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-05, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, fill and skim coat the joints and then sand down so you won't see a hump after the tile glue grabs and sucks the tiles down.

Yes, primer is recommended if you want this to last.

Heat gun and a razor knife to make curved or tricky L shaped cuts.

Do a hand stand on the rolling pin, while someone pushes you around!
Rolling is required for a good bond, remember to let the adhesive flash off for about 45 minutes to an hour before laying that first tile. DO NOT LAY INTO WET CLEAR SPREAD VCT ADHESIVE!!!!!!

Walk on it immediately, but wait a week to put those 3 -4 coats of good ol` Johnson's wax on them and buff them

Old 09-28-05, 10:23 AM
Zora7404
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input. I did my first coat to fill in the cracks, and I'm about ready to start my skimcoat. What a pain it is getting it even around the brick fireplace hearth. The angled cuts ought to be real fun to get right. I guess I'll do some cardboard templates. I'm not going to be able to get a 100lb roller, so I better practice my handstands. I'll probably have to lay a section then step squarely on each individual tile to seat them the best I can.