linoleum floor in bathroom

Old 09-28-05, 07:31 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
linoleum floor in bathroom

I'm in the process of remodeling my bathroom (complete gutting) and want to install linoleum flooring. I have a few questions.

1. Can I run the new floor under the tub (set the tub on top of the linoleum) to avoid trimming?

2. What is the proper sub floor for linoleum? Right now I have plywood.

3.Do I need to patch the joints in the plywood?

4. What is the correct process for installing the new floor? What materials are needed? Glue..ect...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1.) ya if you want to.

2.) Over plywood you need "underlayment grade birch plywood. If you go over the CDX plywood, expect the vinyl to yellow over time as the sap in pine migrates up through the backing. And that substrate has to be as smooth as a babies bottom or it will telegraph any imperfection when the glue sucks it down by the next day.

3.) But and sand the joints in the underlayment. Patch and let sit for a few days to dehydrate and then sand them, if you have gaps in the panels of underlayment. or you will be sorry later as they too will telegraph.

4.) scribing paper, high solids adhesive, properly notched trowel, a razor knife, and a 75-100 pound roller to roll the flooring into the glue good or the trowel ridges will telegraph. It is always a good practice to undercut the doorjambs at the substrate level, and use shoe molding so the vinyl doesn't curl on you at the edges from plasticizer loss in the plastic wear layer, over time.