Vinyl tiles and foam underlayment?

Old 10-04-05, 10:03 AM
christymae
Visiting Guest
Vinyl tiles and foam underlayment?

I plan to install vinyl tiles (18x18, "self-stick" but will use clear adhesive) on a bare concrete floor (2nd floor of condo building). I have patched the biggest cracks in the floor, but it of course is not perfectly smooth.

Is there a reason I could not put down the type of foam underlayment used for laminate flooring? I saw some very thin white foam underlayment at Home Depot, no more than 1/8 of an inch thick, maybe thinner. I was thinking, glue the foam underlayment to the cement, then stick the tiles to the foam. My thought is that the foam will help even out any roughness, but it is still thin enough not to cause problems at the seams, and it would provide a nice smooth surface for the tiles to adhere to. I was also thinking that the foam would provide my downstairs neighbors with some sound insulation. If this is do-able, what kind of adhesive would I use to stick the foam to the floor?

Am I being silly? If I am, what are my other options? Please don't suggest putting down plywood; I am doing this completely alone, no help at all with lifting, no power tools (partly why I chose vinyl over laminate--you can cut vinyl with a razor blade). How about something I could pour onto the floor to level it, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? (the foam would cost me about $100 total)

TIA for your friendly, helpful replies.

Christy in ABQ

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Make sure the substrate is not gypcrete or your portland patch will blow off the gypsum. You will need to bust it all out and use a gysum patch like ARDEX GS-4. The cracks are a good indicator your substrate is light weight gypcrete.

That floor has to be as smooth as a babies bottom or it will telegraph all the imperfections when the adhesive sucks it down.

No, you are asking for a complete disaster if you try to use foam underlayment!!!

Sorry to say, vinyl is not a slap it on the floor type of job, as some will lead you to believe! You will waste your hard earned money if you don't know and understand what your doing.

It sounds as if your in way above your head!!!

Old 10-05-05, 04:54 AM
christymae
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright

No, you are asking for a complete disaster if you try to use foam underlayment!!!

Can you tell me why? What would happen? I'm not questioning your expertise, but I like to know the reasons behind rules! Thanks for your help.

Christy

Old 10-07-05, 07:54 PM
The tiles will crack and chip, if they even stick.

Old 11-14-05, 06:44 PM
djmelton05
Visiting Guest
We had flooring with imperfections and used masonite sheeting. Smooth surface, perfect for vinyl flooring and can be glued to concrete.

Old 11-22-05, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by djmelton05
We had flooring with imperfections and used masonite sheeting. Smooth surface, perfect for vinyl flooring and can be glued to concrete.

Boy, that's a formula for disaster!!!

Masonite is not an approved underlayment for vinyl, although the uneducated and greedy have used it for years, hoping it lasts longer then a years use. Don't get it wet! It is worse then particle board when it does.

Ask Masonite if they approve it and will warranty it over concrete and used as an underlayment. Ask the vinyl manufacturers if they will warranty it.

If neither will, it makes you wonder why? What do they know about its use, that you don't?