Vinyl tiles black gooey mess

Old 10-18-05, 10:42 PM
Robert Hansen
Visiting Guest
Vinyl tiles black gooey mess

I have a small 5x5' bathroom concrete floor that was tiled with sticky back tiles some time ago. None of the tiles stuck. When I removed them what was left was a black gooey sticky mess. Thinner would not remove the old adhesive but xylol (xylene-a solvent for porch and deck enamels) did. The concrete was clean, non-skicky to the touch when I finished with the solvent. After letting the floor air-dry for an hour or so I laid new sticky back vinyl tiles and rolled them tight to the floor. All seemed well but not for long. The next day the new tiles were popping loose in a similar fashion as did the old ones. The adhesive on the new tiles looks as if it is transferring like the old ones did. I peeled two of the new tiles and cleaned the surface again with xylol. Then applied a latex primer to see if this would make a difference. When the primer dried I again laid the tiles and rolled them. To no avail, they are loose again; they are are adhering to the concrete floor. What next??? I read somewhere about Henry's 430 Clear spread applying it in a thin smooth coat and then using the sticky back tile. Would this work??? Has anyone experienced this kind of black gooey mess found on a concrete floor when skicky back vinyl tiles were used???

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-05, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have to scrape the sticky goowy stuff off to a residue, with a flooring razor scraper. Use dirt or sand or floor patching compound on the goowy mess to aid in removal. The adhesive goo will ball up with the media, instead of sliding it all over the floor.

Then encapsulate the residue with ARDEX SD-F Feather Finish. Prime and set your tiles, or flat trowel Henrys 430 clear spread, let it sit for 45 minutes to clear out and tack up good, then peel and stick your tiles.