Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

Any truth to the idea that theres asbestos in 1985 or older vinyl flooring?

Old 10-29-05, 10:07 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I want to take it out and tile it, but I keep hearing that older vinyl floors contain asbestos. Is this true? If so, how do I go about removing the floor?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-05, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Yes. And there are DIY test kits that you can use. Not sure what year they stopped using it, but by mid 80's you might be okay. Best to check. If it DOES, best left to a professional.

Old 10-30-05, 05:42 AM
J
Thanks for the reply. Any idea where these test kits can be found?

Old 10-30-05, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Old 10-30-05, 08:00 PM
P
Hi,
We recently had our 60's/70's era kitchen completely redone. The existing vinyl floor covered an even older vinyl floor - yes a previous owner simply glued the new vinyl to the old vinyl. We guessed the top layer to be 70's era and the bottom layer to be 60's era (house was build in '61). When we spoke to the remodeler he said they don't even try to remove the old vinyl from the sub-floor (plywood). They just cut up the old sub-floor with a circular saw set to the thickness of the vinyl/subfloor combo and pulled it up with the vinyl (both layers) still attached. And out it went along with our old cabinets, appliances, etc. We literally 'threw out the kitchen sink'! I made sure I told them that the old floor was 'old' and they knew what that meant. They said they, and others, do it this way all the time. Honestly I think this was the best way to handle it and the subfloor needed replacing anyway. Our new floor is vinyl by Armstrong over a new 3/4" plywood sub-floor.

You may want to check out this site for more info on asbestos in flooring material:

http://www.rfci.com/index.htm

Under 'About Resilient Flooring' click on 'Technical Information', then at that page scroll down and near the bottom of the page there is a .pdf file about removal of flooring containg asbestos.

Good luck,
Paul

Old 10-30-05, 08:28 PM
J
Thanks for all your info