Can you paint linoleum?

Old 11-07-05, 06:59 PM
tsmithee2003
Visiting Guest
Red face Can you paint linoleum?

We are buying a house which for some reason put linoleum in the bedrooms. Since we're not putting in carpet right away I was thinking of painting it since it's a girls room. Can you do that? What exactly would I do?
Thanks

Old 11-10-05, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Usually something like Kilz will stick to most surfaces but I have no idea if it would stick to lino. I know its hard to get off when dried.
By the time you buy kilz, put on a couple coats of floor enamel and then find out it may not work, you may as well have bought some cheap laminate that will last a longer and look a lot better. I often buy laminate for a buck a foot and I can put it in myself.

Old 11-18-05, 08:56 AM
kaleste
Visiting Guest
Yes, you can paint linoleum!

I did this last year on my kitchen floor and it has withstood traffic great, and you would never know by looking at it that it's been painted.

You would want to start by cleaning the floor, next go over it lightly with a rough scouring pad or some medium grade sandpaper, then wipe it off again to elimnate any dust. After that prime it, any primer will do, I would suggest using a short nap or foam roller. Once the primer dries, paint it however you want. The final step is polyurethane, three coats seems to work best, just make sure each coat dries well. I used a water-based poly because it dries faster and doesn't smell nearly as bad as the oil-based poly does. I chose a satin finish on mine but it all depends on your taste. I would suggest not walking on it for a couple days so the poly has time to set, but that's pretty much it. The poly may wear down over time so if it appears to be doing so a new coat can always be added every year or two.

Old 11-21-05, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gutsy move. Love to see any b4 and after pics?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: