concrete sealant before tiling basement slab

Old 11-18-05, 11:54 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
concrete sealant before tiling basement slab

I'm having 1/8" commercial vinyl tile (Armstrong) installed in the basement, on an old 2" concrete slab. Don't get any visible water coming in but do have some efflorescence and mold on foundation walls and an occasional damp spot on concrete after very serious rain. Wondering if anyone can recommend a good sealant for the slab - and if it works for the stone foundation too then great! I'm concerned about the toxicity of the product because it's going to be a playroom for my kids. Also, will the tile stay down if they get some moisture from below once or twice a year?

Thanks!

Old 11-19-05, 01:11 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are commercial sealants for concrete and masonry walls in basements. Efflorescence and mold should be removed. Moisture issues around the structure should be addressed. Gutters and downspouts should be clear and carrying excess moisture away from structure. Soil should be sloped away from structure to carry away excess water.

There are also penetrating sealers for concrete basement floors. Most manufacturers recommend that concrete be free of paint, dirt, grease, oil, curing agents, and other contaminants, including sealers, that may interfere with the bonding of adhesive. If a primer is used on the concrete floor, it should be one that is compatible with the adhesive used. A moisture test is recommended. Read and follow both tile and adhesive manufacturers' label instructions for concrete surface preparation.

Old 11-20-05, 08:33 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twelvepole
There are also penetrating sealers for concrete basement floors. Most manufacturers recommend that concrete be free of paint, dirt, grease, oil, curing agents, and other contaminants, including sealers, that may interfere with the bonding of adhesive. If a primer is used on the concrete floor, it should be one that is compatible with the adhesive used. A moisture test is recommended. Read and follow both tile and adhesive manufacturers' label instructions for concrete surface preparation.
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying I should avoid a concrete sealer because the tile adhesive might not stick? Or have I misunderstood?

If I don't use a sealant, won't the moisture in the slab also cause the adhesive to fail?

Old 11-20-05, 12:39 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can buy an adhesive that has a sealant built in. Make sure it is compatible to the flooring you plan to install. If your concrete floor is too damp, consider other flooring options, like tile. A moisture test should be done. During times of heavy rain when moisture entering basement may be an issue due to leaks or rising water table and increased vapor emissions in concrete, their may be adhesion problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: