Vinyl Flooring under or over the Vanity and Commode?

Old 12-06-05, 07:30 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Vinyl Flooring under or over the Vanity and Commode?

I've stripped my bathroom of the old vinyl flooring, underlayment, base molding, commode, and vanity.

What's better - vanity on top of new underlayment and vinyl cover, or direct on subfloor?

How 'bout the toilet - on top or under the vinyl cover and underlayment?

Any special nails for the new 1/4-inch plywood underlayment?

I've heard that vinyl squares (12-inch) can slip and slide after awhile - is this true? Is this why vinyl sheeting is "better?"

Oh, and I take "steam-baths", in case it makes any difference.

All comments welcome.

Old 12-06-05, 09:14 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pipsisiwah
I've stripped my bathroom of the old vinyl flooring, underlayment, base molding, commode, and vanity.

What's better - vanity on top of new underlayment and vinyl cover, or direct on subfloor?

How 'bout the toilet - on top or under the vinyl cover and underlayment?

Any special nails for the new 1/4-inch plywood underlayment?

I've heard that vinyl squares (12-inch) can slip and slide after awhile - is this true? Is this why vinyl sheeting is "better?"

Oh, and I take "steam-baths", in case it makes any difference.

All comments welcome.
If you've got the bathroom gutted, put the floor down first. This way you don't have to worry about cutting around the vanity (usually not too hard) and the toilet (usually a royal pain). This doesn't even waste the tile. Well, I guess that depends on how big your vanity is.

Use ring shank underlayment nails (1 1/4" or 1 1/2") - you will find these at any hardware store.

Properly installed vinyl tile shouldn't slide - this would mean the adhesive has failed. Plywood underlayment usually forms a very good bond, especially with today's vinyl tile. The big differences between vinyl tile and sheet vinyl are aesthetic - vinyl tile has seams, but it is far easier to replace a single tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: