I need to lay new Vinyl tiles in the kitchen

Old 12-11-05, 02:51 PM
Delco
Visiting Guest
I need to lay new Vinyl tiles in the kitchen

I've decided not to lay down ceramic tiles and go with vinyl for my kitchen. What I have now is 3/8"plywood on top of the subfloor and old vinyl tiles on top of the plywood. The vinyl tiles that are down now have the seams from the plywood cracked into them, I guess b/c they are old. What I plan to do is rip up the old vinyl tiles and sand the plywood to get the glue off. Then I am going to use leveling compound to seal the seems of the plywood and level the floor off. Then I wil lay the new vinyl tiles, is this what I should be doing or will I have the same projected seams show through the new tiles eventually? Any help would be appreciated.......

Old 12-12-05, 04:24 PM
Delco
Visiting Guest
Come on someone help out a rookie.....

Old 12-12-05, 05:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not self leveler, wrong application. You need Ardex SD-F or Mapei plani patch to skimcoat the seams.

Old 12-15-05, 05:53 AM
Ya, After fully screwing the subfloor down, especially on the seams, where movement was obvious, I would skimcoat the entire subfloor with ARDEX AD-F Feather Finish. This will encapsulate the sap in the pine plywood, that will eventually turn your vinyl yellow. It also fills any gaps or imperfections in the substrate. You will need to lightly scrape and or sand the ARDEX skimcoats, to make them perfectly smooth. I then use Henrys 330 latex primer mopped over the ARDEX.(I use a roller tube, without the roller. Just pushing the puddle around)

Old 12-19-05, 05:39 PM
Delco
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Is ARDEX SD-F or AD-F available at Home Depot or Lowes? If not where do I get it from?

Old 12-20-05, 03:59 PM
D
SD-F Perry musta miskeyed, or the Ardex rep had one he didn't tell me about yesterday.

Old 12-20-05, 05:20 PM
guyfromtexas
Visiting Guest
Redeck it

Well I disagree with removing vinyl tile from plywood since it will be a pain and the glue remains real tacky. I recommend redecking over that old tile with some luon plywood or 1/4" plywood. Then a couple skimcoats of ardex or whatever to fill in your nailholes and joints. Remember to nail every 3" down the joints and 6" in the rest. Thats what I prefer you do but if you want you can do it the other way also..Good Luck

Old 12-21-05, 06:06 PM
Delco
Visiting Guest
I did consider going over it with plywood but I already have a 1/2" step-up from my living room to the kitchen. My next question is when I get up the old vinyl what do I do about the residue from the old tile? Do I skim the entire floor with feather finish or do I just seal the seams and put down primer over everything then the new tiles? This is becoming more involved than I thought it would be...thanks for all the help though I appreciate it.

Frank

Old 12-21-05, 07:38 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The guy at Lowes sold me 40# of Henry Self Leveling Floor stuff that I mix with water. The purpose is to level out the wear depressions in my 25-year-old bathroom. I've already stripped down to the 3/4" plywood subfloor and sanded it as flat as I can, but it's hard to do next to walls. At least it's clean.

Then it dawned on me - If I use the Henrys stuff, can I nail my underlayment through it? I'm getting the feeling the stuff is more for concrete floors and will harden like concrete.

Finally, if I don't use the floor leveler, would you suggest any kind of coating on the subfloor before nailing the plywood underlayment to it?

Thanks in advance...

>>>I would skimcoat the entire subfloor with ARDEX AD-F Feather Finish. This will encapsulate the sap in the pine plywood, that will eventually turn your vinyl yellow. It also fills any gaps or imperfections in the substrate. You will need to lightly scrape and or sand the ARDEX skimcoats

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: