Can I cover old adhesive?

Old 12-19-05, 07:54 PM
wet willie
Visiting Guest
Can I cover old adhesive?

I just removed the 8" vinyl tiles that were installed over concrete in my basement bathroom back in the '50's. The floor now has a thin layer of petroleum based(?) black adhesive residue that looks like roofing tar. I really don't want to scrape that stuff up if I can possibly avoid it. My plan is to lay down Earthscapes' Silver Series textured vinyl that has a very dull finish in an Old Quary pattern. The vinyl is fairly thick and I'm hoping it will absorb any fine surface contaminants that may get trapped underneath. When I told the salesman about the black adhesive residue he voiced his concern about the black migrating through the vinyl and discoloring it over time.
I'd sure like to know what I can do to avoid scraping the adhesive off. Can I paint it with a sealer such as Kilz or an epoxy?
Thanks for any and all advice.
WW

Old 12-20-05, 11:07 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Black adhesive from the 50's likely contains asbestos. The only way to know for sure is to have it tested. Asbestos is best left alone. If disturbed by sanding or scraping the microscopic particles become airborne and can cause health problems.

Old 12-20-05, 03:17 PM
wet willie
Visiting Guest
How do I encapsulate old adhesive?

Can anyone recommend a product to encapsulate this film of black adhesive left over from the good ol days?

Old 12-20-05, 03:53 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ardex K-15 with additive will keep it from bleeding through your vinyl, but it has to be scraped to just a film on the floor. Wet the floor and use a 4" razor scraper. Keep the floor and scrapings wet so none of the scrapings become airbourne.

Old 12-20-05, 06:07 PM
guyfromtexas
Visiting Guest
Yeah most likely 98% sure that old tile contained asbestos. Careful with that black glue "cut back" that has asbestos in it too. Use that Ardex or some underlayment with latex additive not water. Mix that in a small bucket not too thin but not thick. Just good enough so you can use a flat trowel and may require two coats. Scrape where needed but dont sand it and wear a dust mask during that process..good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: