Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

Vinyl Self Adhesive Tiles Over Latex Floor Paint on 3/4 Plywood?

Old 01-04-06, 03:41 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I bought several boxes of Cheap Self Adhesive Parkay Wood pattern vinyl tiles today. I bought the cheap ones because that is all I can afford. They are very nice looking though! On the back of the box however, to my surprise, it says to make sure all surfaces all free of grease etc.. and PAINT of all things. I originally painted 3/4 plywood with Latex Gray Floor Paint just to buy some time before making a more final flooring decision. Is there a problem tiling over plywood painted with latex floor paint???

Also please help: I read here on the forum about some people using glue in addition to the self adhesive glue on the tiles. Can someone please recommend the best additional glue to combine with the built in adhesive on the tiles???

I realize that these aren't the greatest tiles but I really want them to last as long as possible; and it will still be a lot nicer that what I am living with. Thanks a lot for anyone's time

Last edited by Plum; 01-04-06 at 03:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-06, 05:05 AM
J
Whats up plum? I recently did my mothers bathroom with self sticking tiles and are you sure you read there dos and donts correctly? I ask this because the tiles I put down said to paint the plywood wood floor before laying the tiles? The glue I used on top of the glue already on the tiles is called ACRYLPRO CERAMIC TILE MASTIC. The job I did looks great and so far no slipping tiles or movement of the tiles. I know A little about everything and know a lot about nothing but if you need more help just ask. Carpets Done Wright is a moderator on here and he knows this stuff like the back of his hand and can help you with what ever you run into.

Old 01-27-06, 06:36 PM
P
last check in

"ACRYLPRO CERAMIC TILE MASTIC"
So, this is definitely the stuff to add with self sticking tiles to increase durability.
I would really like them to last as long as their cheapness permits.
Thanks Jim for your feedback.
I'm finally getting ready to start the job.