removing peel and stick tiles

Old 01-09-06, 07:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing peel and stick tiles

Hi! I am new to these boards and site, and so far I love it!! I am trying to remove some peel and stick flooring that is on concrete. It has been there for about 10 years. I am going to put ceramic tile on the floor and everything I have read says do not put the ceramic over the peel and stick. I am having a problem getting the old tiles up.... they are stuck really well!!! I guess I did too good a job putting them in!! LOL!!! Is there a secret to getting the peel and stick tiles up? Or a product that I can apply to make it easier? If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!! I am not very good at all this home improvement stuff, so I am taking it one step at a time, and could use ALOT of advice!!! Thanks!!!

Old 01-13-06, 10:19 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what have you tried?

I'm no expert, but you didn't mention what you have tried so far. Have you tried a heat gun? Have you tried one of those big razors (4 inches across) on a 2 foot stick? Have you called the manufacturer of the tile to ask what type of solvent will dissolve the adhesive of the tile?

Old 01-21-06, 03:39 PM
Gmasharon
Visiting Guest
Having same problem

We must have put it down really good LOL
Mine has been done about 15 years and it isnt coming off either.
Have you learned anything that works? At this rate I may never get the old ones off. LOL

Old 01-22-06, 09:58 PM
Gmasharon
Visiting Guest
Got most of mine up today

Cilla,
I went to Home Depot and purchased a 14 in scraper on a long handle.
It was hard work but I got 250 sg ft in about 3 hours today. Would have been faster if I hadnt had to sit down every 30 min or so. It is hard work but it does all come off. I was also told that you can rent an electric machine there that will do it for you with out all the elbow grease.

Good Luck

Sharon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: