Stripping Vinyl Tile Floor

Old 01-22-06, 01:59 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stripping Vinyl Tile Floor

I have a 43 year old ranch with a basement. The basement floor is finished with 9x9 vinyl tile. It is very scratched up, and appears to have a lot of wax on the surface that's peeling away in the hi-traffic areas. I know this floor could be beautiful with a little TLC.

What would be the best method to strip and refinish the floor (including wax or some other type of finish coat)? Will mechanical stripping remove much of the damage from chairs, tables, etc? I'm on a septic system, so disposal of the dirty water & spent chemicals is a concern.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Old 01-24-06, 04:08 AM
G
Lots of looks but no help???

Bump........

Old 01-24-06, 02:55 PM
D
Ammonia water and a buffer with a coarse wheel to remove wax, mop on one coat of sealer and two coats of wax. You can get into corners where the buffer won't go with a scotch-brite pad.

Old 01-24-06, 11:22 PM
M
If you decide you have to do it yourself, then here is what you will need. Go to your local rental store and rent a 20" electric floor scrubber w/ a concrete brush. The concrete brush will be more aggresive than a stripping pad at getting the scratches clean. If the scratches have gone through the wax and into the actual tile you are stuck with them, however you can make them look clean. You will also need a good quality wax stipper. This can be purchased from a home improvement store or rental company. However the quality of chemicals you can get from a janitorial supply store is going to much higher. Lay the solution out(mixed according to the instructions) on the floor. Scrub each row of tiles 3-4 times. If you run into really rough looking spots, put more pressure on the machine as you pass over these spots. Then pick up the solution with a wet vac. If you removed all the wax and debris, rinse the floor with a mop of fresh water. You will then need to lay approximately 3-4 coats of wax on the floor. Do this with a clean rayon/cotton blend mop. Lay the wax out on the floor thick enough to not miss any spots, but not so thick as to allow it to pool. Allow 30 min. to one hour between coats. This is quite an in depth ordeal, and typically it will be much easier and cheaper to hire a professional. Usually you can get it done for no more than 20cents per sq. ft.

Old 01-31-06, 10:31 AM
i've got those same vinyl tiles in just one room of our basement. isn't there a way to do it without renting power equipment??? our floor looks dull, almost chalky, like there's nothing on it at all. is there just some stripper/chemical that you can mop on & clean with, without needing to rent an electric machine of some sort? and then when it's completely stripped & cleaned, can't you just use something like mop & glo or one of the Floor Shine products i see on the floor care shelves at walmart? or do they not work/last?

Old 02-02-06, 01:20 AM
M
Yes, you can clean one up without power equipment, however, it is more difficult to remove old wax and you will not be able to fully clean up any deep gouges/scratches into the tile itself. Never, never, never use mop and glo by any name (i.e. mop & glo, future, armstrong floor finish) that you find a grocery store or department store. You may be pleased with the initial finished product, but given any period of time it will yellow and discolor. It has a very high acrylic content which causes this. It is also highly difficult to remove once you become unhappy with it. I do this for a living and I can tell you that if have any idea it is on a floor, it will at least double your price due to the difficulty of removing it.. Hopefully I have helped. Please post any additional questions.

Old 02-02-06, 07:28 AM
yikes! thanks for the info. so, okay, what do i use to make it shiny, if not the grocery store products? something from an obscure janitorial supply place (that's probably only open from 9 to 5 mon-fri, and i work!)??? or should i use the wax stuff? if so, can wax be done without an electric buffer?

Old 02-04-06, 09:06 PM
M
you can probably locate a decent wax from a rental supply place that open on saturdays. usually a product from johnsons wax. another alternative is to find it online from a janitorial supply store and have it shipped directly to your home. this will give you the greatest variety of products to choose from without ever leaving the house...great for you 9-5ers. just google janitorial supplies. in response to the waxing...you don't need a buffer to wax...just a clean mophead to spread it out with. Preferably a rayon/cotton blend. a clean cotton mop will work...it just leaves more lint in the wax

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: