asbestos

Old 01-23-06, 09:52 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
asbestos

Well, we just pulled out our linoleum to get at the hardwood floors beneath. I feel so horrible because we just did it. We did not do any research beforehand. Now I find out that linoleum can have asbestos in it!! I have a 2 year old who has been around for the whole thing not to mention all of us and a dog.

Is there anything we should do now?? Is there an antedote? I am kind of freaking out. We did have an inspecter come before we bought the place and I don't think he mentioned anything about the floor containing it. Then again would he think of that? We certainly did not think to ask.

We still have to scrape up the tar paper underneath. Is that dangerous also??

Please help!!!!

Old 01-23-06, 10:21 PM
Are you sure you had linoleum? I have included a link that states linoleum does not contain asbestos. It was Vinyl that contained it and that was only from products made before 1986.
What I have read about asbestos is that it is harmful when it is airborn due to grinding and such. Not an expert on that subject however.
Read the link and decide what you have. Good luck.

http://www.ecoact.org/Programs/Green...s/linoleum.htm

Old 01-24-06, 09:12 AM
M
Well, I guess I am not sure if I have vinyl or linoleum. It is definately from before the 80's I would guess its from the 60's. It has that gold glitter in it that seems to be from that era.

We did not grind it but we did pull it off small peice by peice.

Old 01-24-06, 10:48 AM
I would not worry about it then. As long as you did not form a condition of airborne dust, you did not breathe it which is how it gets into your lungs.

Old 01-24-06, 03:52 PM
D
Your best bet for removal is wet scraping. Even better would be to install a prefinished new hardwood over it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: