Self sticking tiles over a sheet vinyl floor?

Old 01-28-06, 03:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Self sticking tiles over a sheet vinyl floor?

I want to put self sicking tiles over a sheet vinyl floor and dont have the room to put any underlayment down. Does anyone know can i stick them right to the sheet vinyl? do i have to use a wax remover or sand the floor first? really dont want to try and strip it all ready has 2 layers off underlayment and sheet vinyl and underlayment was stapled real well so dont even want to try and get it up. thank you for any advice.

Old 01-28-06, 08:10 PM
C
Don't worry.........it will work fine.

I have put down self stick tiles over sheet vinyl on many occasions. The only thing that I would suggest is applying a thin coat of floor adhesive to your floor with a trowel before laying your tiles. That way you don't have to rely totally on the self stick adhesive that comes with tiles.
Good Luck,
Currie

Old 01-31-06, 04:26 PM
S
i did half of my kitchen in my fixerupper house during the summer on top of existing vinyl tiles and it come out very good .. the other half however, i did it a few weeks ago in cild weather and it is all coming off .. follow the instruction for temperature range and make sure the tles and floor have been warm for a day or 2 before applying the new flooring.

Old 01-31-06, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Last time I did that was our previous house (pre-sale improvement) and the tiles didn't seem to want to stay stuck down. Went to the local tool rental place and rented a linoleum roller (at least that's what I think it was - three very heavy chrome-plated cylinders mounted end to end with a three-foot t-handle to "drive" it with. Rolled over the tiles in all directions a few times and the tiles came out very well adhered.

Old 02-03-06, 09:01 AM
R
ras
Mark,

This is a very common installation. If a recommended underlaymeht can't be used, I would at least use some brand of embossing leveler on the existing floor after cleaning it thoroughly. This product will fill in the indents of the original vinyl (be they design or faults) and help prevent it from telegraphing thru to the top or new tille. Also the leveler will provided an excellent surface for the peel and stick tile to adhere to. And of course always roll the new floor to insure complete contact.

RAS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: