vinyl tile on particle board subfloor

Old 02-02-06, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl tile on particle board subfloor

I'm installing 12" self-adhesive vinyl tile in our laundry room. Previous floor was also (35 year old) vinyl tile - layed right on the particle board subfloor.

Do I need to install underlayment? I really don't wan't to: extra cost + I'll have to shorten all three of my doors I think, even with only 1/4" underlayment.

I've "prepped" the particle board subfloor by cleaning it, sanding a few bulges flat (it had gotten wet in a few spots and swelled), filling nail depressions, and I applied a coat of vinyl tile primer.

Is this enough, or should I bite the bullet and install 1/4" underlayment?

Matt

Old 02-05-06, 02:14 PM
jingram_CA
Visiting Guest
If it got wet once and swelled up, it could happen again. Also since you are going to use the square pieces, there is a lot of joints for water to seep into. I would bite the bullet and layer 1/4 good one side fir plywood over it. It would be a shame to do all the work of replacing the floor only to have spots swell up.

You might get by with out covering the floor if you used a full sheet of flooring instead of the squares.

Good Luck

Jon

Old 02-06-06, 08:32 PM
Me too!

I have put down self sticking vinyl floor tiles in our dining room over pressboard just a few days ago. I didn't have any problem with doing this. We did it already in our foyer and hallway and it takes a few days for the tiles to really become 'stuck' down. The cheaper vinyl tiles will stick almost immediately (go figure). We have one area where the pressboard doesn't meet evenly although we do not know why as we didn't put it in. I am going to try wood filler before relaying this floor. The tile used was a fake wood look tile (parquet style) and although I noted some defects, I went on and installed it hoping it was not noticeable. Wrong. The manufacturer has authorized us to get replacement tiles but after looking at only two boxes each of 20 tiles, the first had only 5 without defects and the second had only 2. Needless to say we are switching to Armstrong tiles. I wanted to put ceramic tile in this room and since the tiles were only .68 apiece, this would have been cheaper but then add in the cost of glue and grout and having the edge pieces cut, not sure if it is still a cheaper 'do'. The room to the right is our kitchen which has sheet flooring that needs to be replaced also. It was put down right over the old sheet flooring. The room to the left is the formal living room which has carpeting. To the left of the living room is the foyer/hallway. I'm thinking of making the living room floor the same as the dining room but not the kitchen, would this look odd to have three different floor treatments like that?

I'd like to know what people recommend, vinyl tiles, ceramic or wood? Is the wood flooring that much more costly than the first two solutions? I've been told that ceramic tiles chip and look dirty and we have small children here who are very messy and rough. The dining room has a nice chandelier and both it and the formal living room have sparkly ceilings (when viewed at night). I'd like a more formal look in these two rooms.

Old 02-06-06, 08:35 PM
Our subfloors are also all pressboard and uneven in a few places. We installed wood like vinyl sticky tiles with no problems. The more expensive tiles take about 3-4 days to really adhere to this wood. The cheaper tiles adhere almost immediately. We were told by a manager at Lowe's that she installed this type of flooring in both of her bathrooms, however I am questioning if this is wise since the water can't help but get between these tiles and possibly ruin the floor?

Old 02-06-06, 08:37 PM
Sorry for the double post; I thought the first one got lost so I redid it.

Old 02-06-06, 11:39 PM
mission accomplished

Well, I went ahead and installed the vinyl tile on the particle board subfloor. The installation went well and it looks darn good. I used "Trafficmaster Original" tiles from Home Depot. I chose a faux stone tile (can't remember the name). Rolled with a 100+ lb roller that I (should) have used a crane to lift in and out of the trunk of my car.

Pros:
    Cons:

Advise: If your house has a particle board subfloor, then seriously consider moving. It is not a good sign.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
      Question Title:
      Description:
      Your question will be posted in: