Vinyl over vinyl over hardwood removal

Old 02-13-06, 09:34 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl over vinyl over hardwood removal

My kitchen floor has what appears to be vinyl tiles over another vinyl layer over hardwood. I want to install Armstrong tiles but would like some advice.
Do I need to completely remove both layers prior to installing the Armstrong tiles? If so, I'm thinking I need to put something down over the hardwood prior to installing the tiles. Any recommendations? I would prefer something thin since the floor is about level with the connecting floor outside of the kitchen.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-06, 03:27 PM
T
My understanding is that you should never lay vinyl over vinyl....it will eventually "mold" itself into whatever seams, pattern, embossing may be on the old floor. Usually you lay a thin sheet of lauan (like a thin plywood) to give it a firm base,and then install the new vinyl floor over that.

Seeing as you have so many layers and are concerned about the transition from one room to another, you might want to take them down to the wood. Be careful, a lot of old "vinyl" contains asbestos (don't know how old your floor is), and if you get down and find true linoleum, it doesn't have asbestos, but a lot of times the felt backing and tar-type adhesive they used DOES. Sometimes the adhesive used on vinyl contained it too, I think.

Old 02-15-06, 12:07 PM
R
Thanks for the response. I believe I can safely assume that the first layer above the hard wood is early 70s and probably contains asbestos. Now I'm wondering if my best bet is to install a thin layer of lauan over the floor as is would be my best bet. I've searched for advice on the removal of asbestos layden flooring, but found that most people won't get into how actually dangerous it is. I'd hate to have to hire someone to do if for me, especially if they just come in with a dust mask, then scrape it out and charge me a bundle.

Old 02-15-06, 03:42 PM
T
Asbestos is best encapsulated with 1/4" plywood underlayment for vinyl floors. To learn more about asbestiosis, refer to your favorite search engine.

Old 02-16-06, 06:28 PM
The concern with luan over layers of vinyl, is the seams of the underlayment will soon appear in the top surface, unless you do a perimeter bond installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: