Moving gas stove to install vinyl tile underneath

Old 02-24-06, 06:59 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Moving gas stove to install vinyl tile underneath

Hi - I'm installing 12x12 vinyl tiles in my kitchen, and I've run into a glitch. I can move my refrigerator, but what do I do about the stove? It's gas, and I'm concerned about pulling it out and causing a problem. Do I need to call an expert to disconnect it prior to moving it?

Old 02-24-06, 09:21 AM
First, heres what SHOULD be behind the stove. A shut-off valve and flexible hose from the gas supply to the stove. The flex hose should allow you to pull the stove out from the wall and shut off the gas valve. You should have enough room to get to the connection for the flex to disconnect it. If you have fears of doing this, then I would ask a friend who has done this before to disconnect it for you. Calling in a Pro is a good thing but, it will have to be reconnected so you have two calls for service. Good luck.

Old 02-24-06, 10:12 AM
D
Smile

Thanks for the assist. I've pulled out the drawer below the oven, and the previous owners just laid the sheet vinyl about three inches under the stove. Can I jack up the front of the stove about 1/2 inch in order to put tile underneath without causing a problem? I'm doing this myslf, and have no extra people to lift the stove while I tile underneath.....

Old 02-24-06, 10:18 AM
Look at the back of the stove to make sure there is a flex hose there. If so, you can lift the front of the stove and place a couple 2x4 blocks of wood a short distance back under the stove to hold it up while you tile. Good luck.

Old 02-24-06, 11:10 AM
D
It's a gray, striated hose - metallic, and looks flexible. I was thinking of using a jack stand, and raising it just enough to put the tile under the legs.. I just don't want to cause a gas leak.... Don't worry , I won't hold you responsible if I try something and have a problem - I just appreciate the advice...

Old 02-24-06, 11:14 AM
That sounds like a typical flex hose. I only mentioned 2x4's to give you enough room to work. What ever you have to sit it on will work. I have found that most tile under stoves only goes far enough in to cover the floor and look nice.

Old 02-24-06, 02:03 PM
D
Thanks for the reassurance - I've got most of the floor done, just need to do the pieces that need cutting, and around the stove... I appreciate your help!

Old 03-03-06, 03:51 PM
D
Well, I came up with a great idea ! I used my husband's jack stand, put it under the centerpoint in the front of the stove, and lifted the stove a bit over 1/4" (just enough to slide the tile under). It worked great!

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: