linoleum, mastic, asbestos and kitties?

Old 03-30-06, 06:41 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
linoleum, mastic, asbestos and kitties?

My boyfriend and I just ripped up the old carpet and linoleum in the addition on my (built 1953) house... found out after the fact that we should have been wearing masks while chipping out the old floor, since the black mastic could have asbestos in it! my question now is....we are getting ready to clean the concrete off to stain and seal it (with respirators on)... but in the meantime my two cats have been walking on the mastic. Is that harmful to them? I am worried that they are getting any amount of dust on their paws and potentially ingesting it. Would dampening or wet-mopping the floor help? I've read that the asbestos is mostly harmful over a long period of time, repeated exposure. And if it is airborne.
any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated!

Old 03-31-06, 08:39 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After the fact of removing asbestos is a bit late for doing anything about exposure. Asbestos is not harmful unless particles become airborne. If particles are ingested into lungs, they lodge there and can eventually develop into asbestiosis, lung cancer, or mesothelioma. The only way to know for sure if your floor covering or adhesive contained asbestos is to have it tested. Effects of asbestos on pet lungs is likely the same for humans.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: