Subflooring for Vinyl TILE!!??????? :wall:

Old 04-07-06, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Subflooring for Vinyl TILE!!??????? :wall:

I am going to be putting down vinyl tile in my kitchen and I posted about a week ago but the post is gone. So I asked if I can lay these vinyl tile on top of masonite. I have asbestos 9X9 in tile on the floor now that are coming up on me. I am going to tear them up. There are a couple that are up now and looks like the glue took the top layer of the masonite w/ it!. Well there was one post and the guy said no they won't stick and that I should use 1/4 in. plywood. But my dad said to ask about Tempered Masonite?? He has about 40 sheets of 4ft. X 8ft. He is a custodian at the local high school and they had to tear them up after being down 1 week b/c the company didn't lay them right or something. Only thing wrong is that they have screw holes which is no big deal. Anyone w/ any info let me know please!? The subfloor I have now is a cardboard color and I think it is masonite. Thanks

Old 04-07-06, 12:19 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think the 1/4" plywood might have been good advice. Just glue and screw it down and roll with the vinyl. I think masonite is a pretty dreadful material for anything personally. Oh and if the existing tiles are going to be a lot more work why move them? Lay the plywood right on top. Only reason I would peel them is if they are falling off anyway not to mention if they are asbestos you are supposed to make special provisions to dispose of them that is not cheap.

Old 04-07-06, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well I think I need to correct myself! My uncle just stopped in to pick up a tool i borrowed and he said its hardwood. They just put the shiny side down!!!!! So about tearing them up.. they are practically coming up by themselves!! Literally. I was sweeping the floor w/ my shop vac and one just stuck fast to the nozzle!!!!!!! I also found out locally that as a homeowner I am allowed to tear the asbestos tiles up myself and dispose of them. So back to the hardwood subfloor that i have not MASONITE!!! SORRY So I will be tearing the old all up and if I need to just put some leveler down if needed and slap down the new?? Just wondering THANKS Doing this project next weekend.

Old 04-07-06, 05:08 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I replied to your last post. You need 1/4" underlayment grade plywood to install your tiles on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: