Adhesive Removal

Old 06-13-06, 12:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adhesive Removal

We are removing old peel and stick tiles from our home (concrete slab) and will replace with Domco vinyl planks. Any way to remove the adhesive still sticking to the floor? I don't want to use any chemicals that will affect the new adhesive. We have over 1400 square feet to remove. The old adhesive doesn't scrape off, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Sandi

Old 06-13-06, 12:23 PM
B
1400 square feet? forget about removing it. I am not familiar with the Domco vinyl planks. Is it free floating or does it adhere to the floor? Whatever I used on that floor it would have to be something that would go over the bit of adheasive left. In fact I would want something free floating that I could go right over the existing tiles without removing them at all. Welcome to DIY! Good Luck!

Old 06-13-06, 12:31 PM
S
Adhesive Removal

Unfortunately, we have to remove all the tiles, due to flooding during Hurricane Katrina. The vinyl planks are glue down. I've searched this forum and have seen a lot of suggestions for adhesive removal, but I guess I'm hoping someone will log in with an easier way to get this job done.

Thanks,
Sandi

Old 06-13-06, 12:55 PM
B
I hate to be the voice of doom but there is no easy way. 1400 SQ. ft. would take weeks with any method. You will need to either glue the new planks down to the existing adhesive or, and much better in my opinion, go with a free floating system that requires no glue especially if the space is susceptible to flooding.

Old 06-15-06, 06:55 AM
S
More Info

First, I have to apologize, the name of the flooring is Nafco. Made it easy to find my thread, though.

Anyway, I e-mailed the company and here's their response:

'It is vital to the installation that you remove 100% of the old adhesive. We know that it is not usually possible to remove all the adhesive. So we recommend a patching compound, in most cases, a Portland based cement compound. The adhesive you would be using to apply your planks is the 400 adhesive which is a wet-set adhesive meaning it needs some place porous for it to tack up and set. If it is installed directly over the existing adhesive the new adhesive has no way of tacking up. The patching compound will allow the 400 adhesive to set and tack up appropriately.'

Not what I wanted to hear, but I guess that's what we'll do.

Sandi

Hope this helps someone.

Old 06-15-06, 09:45 PM
Well sorry to say this ....
but I am very familiar with that product..
And I am telling you run away from it...
We did 4 blgs with 3 floor each with 60 aps per floor..
+ a few club houses and offices and guess what for one reason or the other they all have problems..
They shrink with cold they expand with Heat they lift with moister"concrete\flood" gluck on that one...
I did a 40 x 60 club house with that ..scraping glue down carpet from it...
I didnt use any product just 4 inch scraper and huge carbide bits router sander..
After 3 days of work we were done a week later they called us telling planking were coming up ..
REp from firm came out and saiD yep..old carpet glue sealed frool so glue coudnt sip trhu it and bond so no refound and bla bla bla..
We decided them to never ever installed that product especially on concrete or gypcrete..
On other side I have it in my kitchen over 1/4 plywood...and it is rock solid so ..Gluck on the one ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: