Underlayment and kitchen cabinets

Old 06-14-06, 10:40 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underlayment and kitchen cabinets

I am replacing some kitchen cabinets as well as a vinyl sheet floor. I am going to use Columbia Multiply Plywood 1/4 inch underlayment.

Should I put the underlayment over the whole floor and then put my cabinets in on top of the underlayment or should I put the cabinets in and then put the underlayment in to butt up against the cabinet base and put the cabinet footer in place to cover the vinyl edge?

I do not plan on removing the old vinyl for this install which means that the current vinyl is cut off at the edge of the cabinet footer. If I lay the 1/4 plywood over this area will there be a problem with levelness?

My instinct is to do the whole floor and put the cabinets on top of the underlayment, but I just need some confirmation.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-14-06, 06:59 PM
chicken or egg?

If cost is not a factor, I would install the underlayment first, plus the sheet goods. That way, the vinyl will never curl at the cabinet toe kicks and it will be much easier to install.

Old 08-08-06, 07:36 PM
F
You could do it either way, really. Might be easier to install all the luan board before putting the cabinets in so that you don't have to cut the luan board so much and it will be harder to nail down the luan board when you get close to the cabinets (don't want to scratch them, right?). You won't need to nail so close under the cabinets as you do where the linoleum will go. You'll just use a little more luan board that way is all.

Old 08-09-06, 07:05 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Cabinets

Too much build up in front of the cabinets makes it difficult or impossible to install the dish washer. You may need to remove the dish washer for repair or replacement in the future. Do the floor covering first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: