Threshold - Linoleum to Carpet

Old 06-20-06, 12:37 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Threshold - Linoleum to Carpet

I'm working on putting in a threshold between linoleum floor from a bathroom into carpeting in the hallway. The linoleum is raised about 1/4" over the carpet and starts slightly over 3 1/2" inches from the door when closed (i.e. 3 1/2" inches of carpet can be seen in the bathroom when the door is closed). The gap varies from just under to just over 3 1/2" inches, so I've been trying to find an oak threshold that is about 4 inches, but have been unable to find one - any suggestions?? I've seen 5", but nothing smaller than that. Also, given the measurements, I'm going to need to screw into the carpet instead into the plywood below the linoleum - any tips on screws/techniques? Finally, am I better off notching out the threshold to fit the door frame, or taking 1/2" or so off the door frame to accomodate the threshold? Any information would be a huge help - I've been looking for quite a while...

Old 06-28-06, 05:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may have to modify the 5" if you can not find a 4" threshold. Door jamb will have to be undercut to accommodate height threshold and to provide a more professional looking installation. Door will need some clearance over threshold, so door may need to be sanded off or cut off. This may be a problem if door is hollow. Carpet can be cut back and tack strip moved to eliminate carpet in bathroom. Underlayment and vinyl may need to be cut back to accommodate threshold. Shims may have to be used beneath threshold to accommodate any height difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: