Help me with vinyl tile!

Old 07-04-06, 07:40 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help me with vinyl tile!

First of all, I'm very sorry if there's already been a thread about this before. I've never been on these forums before, and I'm really short on time right now.

I'm in a new (to me) rental house, and I couldn't stand the kitchen floor. It was very poorly afixed vinyl tile, and ugly at that. So I got the landlord to pay me back for buying new tile, and told him I'd do it myself. Didn't think it would be hard. And still, I don't think it'll be that bad.

Landlord loaned us a tool for scraping the old stuff off, which I was doing very carefully. Upon further inspection, there were TWO layers of vinyl tile, and a sheet of linoleum beneath that! I decided to try and scrape off the tile, and if the sheet didn't look TOO bad, I would wash it well and affix the new tile to it. While I took a break from the scraping, my dear boyfriend decided to help and got a little overzealous. When I got back to it, he'd hacked all the layers away in a big chunk of the room. So now, after all of that, we're down to wood. The linoleum seems to have had some kind of paper sheet under it, which didn't pull up completely. So the wood is really gross looking. In one spot (where the washer goes), it looks like there was a little water damage around the edge, but like I said, it's a rental house - we probably won't stay more than 1-2 years, and I know that landlord doesn't care. The wood is old floorboards, which look like they've always been covered. I got this far with the trim around the edges intact, and there's a 1/8-1/4 " gap from it to the floor.

I've tried scrubbing the boards, but they aren't getting to the point where I'd think the tile would stick. I just want a passable solution that isn't too time-consuming or expensive. Do I need to lay thin plywood out for under the tile? Or is there something thinner that will work?

Please help me! I want to get on with my life!

Old 07-04-06, 09:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I'm no tile or vinyl expert but what is normally done is to install 1/4" plywood [often luan] over the old flooring [providing it is secure] and then the new is laid over that once the joints are filled.

Old 07-04-06, 09:40 AM
L
thanks Mark. After looking around and researching a little more, I'm going to see if I can do it with a floor prep compound. But now, I'm trying to scrub the boards off in preparation for that (anyway, I won't have a vehicle to get to the hardware store till after my bf's home). The residue of the paper-ish layer under the linoleum is hard! it doesn't want to just scrape of with the tool I have (and I really don't have much for tools, or money!), but random chunks are coming up in different places. and where I try to scrub where it seems firmly placed, it's just coming up in wet wormy pieces. Is there any cleaning agent or anything that would help get this stuff up easier?

Old 07-04-06, 01:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Mineral spirits might help.

Old 07-05-06, 09:40 AM
L
Another question!

Please excuse my ignorance - I'm just full of questions, I guess! (Just don't want my job to finish looking totally crappy!)

I'm filling in the cracks just fine, it seems (due to appliances/lack of space, I'm doing half first, then I'll move everything and do the other half - since tile was down before I know how it'll all fit already)- and it's coming out quite level. The biggest problem I forsee now is that I never was able to get all the paper-ish residue off the wood. I'm concerned that the self-adhesive tile won't stick uniforlmly to the three surfaces I have: wood, paper, and floor prep/leveler.

It occured to me that I have some extra wall paint leftover. I was thinking it might work better if I put a coat of that down between the leveler and tile. In my mind, it seems like it would be a somewhat "cleaner" surface, and stick better, but I can't find anything anywhere about affixing the tile to paint. Will it stick allright, or is there something about wall paint that would make that a bad idea?

It's just a regular medium-grade wall paint, from Wal-Mart.

Thanks again for all the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: