How to remove vinyl adhesive?

Old 07-23-06, 10:03 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove vinyl adhesive?

I took out the floor vinyl and i am left with the glue/adhesive spots on my concrete floor.. what product can i use to soften the glue? so far goo-gone failed

Old 07-23-06, 12:13 PM
D
Have you tried scraping it?

Old 07-23-06, 02:32 PM
finish stripper from your local home improvement or janitoral store..mix as directed..apply to area let sit 10-15 mins..work in small areas..scrape with a sharp blade..hence being carful..take a shovel and a 5 gallong bucket and pickup and dump as you go..watch for run off on unwanted areas and splashing walls and baseboards as stripper can damage paint..afterwards rinse with water serveral times..let dry for a day or 2 ..seal subfloor

Old 07-28-06, 07:22 PM
T
Depending on what you plan on doing with your concrete floor after adhesive removal will determine the best approach for adhesive removal. Adhesive removal products may contaminate floor and create adhesion problems depending on your plans for the floor.

Old 08-08-06, 02:15 PM
C
I have a related problem. I was able to pull up the vinyl without any trouble, but the paper backing (which is surprisingly thick) and adhesive did not come up. I tried scraping it up, but that doesn't work. I then tried adhesive remover, but that didn't work either because the paper is so thick that it won't penetrate it. Any suggestions?

Old 08-08-06, 03:01 PM
D
Welcome to the DIY forums Chef Scottie

Like twelvepole mentioned...what do you plan on doing with your floor after?

And you have concrete underneath?

And you let the adhesive remover penetrate through before trying to scrape it right?

Just thinking...

Old 08-08-06, 04:12 PM
C
Thanks for the welcome. I like do it yourself projects, so I imagine this forum will be a great resource.

I have subflooring (plywood) and underlayment (OSB) under the flooring. I hope to put a new vinyl floor in, but tile is also a possibility. I did try letting the adhesive remover soak for awhile, but that didn't help at all.

Old 09-02-06, 02:20 PM
P
Greetings--

Im keeping en eye on this thread-- as I too will be removing vinyl flooring installed over concrete, in prep for either more vinyl or tile.

I figured scraping would remove the vinyl and most of the adhesive.

What adhesive remover should I use- so that I can still lay tile or vinyl ?

Old 09-02-06, 05:05 PM
Talking

start by removing as much of the paper as possible, then follow with a product called "Foam Off" available at HD. Using any kind of alcohol based thinner on the floor, is a fire danger. I've used this product a couple of times and it worked out great. Just be patient and use a little bit of elbow grease.
Don't forget the Bengay!

Old 09-02-06, 11:44 PM
For both floors 4" scrapers blade sharp razor blades I do it every day for work ...It works trust me..
Especially on concrete it sucks but it works ..
On wood Just layover 1/4 plywood ...couse scraping you will ending up damagin underlayiment anyway save yourself time and frustration ....
If hight is un issue remove old underlayment and procede with new one GL

Old 09-03-06, 03:27 AM
F
information

scraping adhesives from a wood floor is futile. You end up spending way to much time doing it and screwing up the wood with the scraper blade in the process.

using liquid removers can damage the wood and can cause a insufficient bond with the new flooring, especially if it seeps into base grade osb/particle-board/flake-board.

you mention a plywood subfloor and osb underlayment ?

could this mean a osb subfloor under a 1/4" plywood underlayment ?

if so, remove the 1/4" underlayment.

if not, then just install a flooring grade underlayment, such as multiply, techply, halex or arctic birch ,per manufacturer instructions.

http://obscurity.ws/floorsearch.php?query=underlayment

Old 09-03-06, 02:54 PM
W
I'm trying to remove linoleum on a concrete slab to replace it with ceramic tile, the 4 " scraper peels up the vinyl but leaves the paper. Can you use coarse sand paper and a belt sander to remove the paper?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: