Cracking noises from vinyl floor

Old 08-01-06, 05:37 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cracking noises from vinyl floor

Someone please help! We installed an Armstrong sheet vinyl floor in our kitchen 2 months ago, and 2 things are really frustrating me about the flooring (both of which I think my dear husband could have prevented, but that is another story). The first is that we rolled our dishwasher back into the kitchen the night we finished installing the floor, and a set of tracks from the casters now can be followed along the floor (My DH's words immediately following this were: "I was afraid that might happen." AARRGGHH. I did not know we needed to use plywood to roll the thing across. Anyway, just on the off chance Armstrong would cover it in their warranty, we had an inspector come out. Of course, it was no go. Can anything be done to minimize the appearance of these shallow grooves?

More bothersome to me, though, are the cracking noises heard when walking across the floor. The inspector said they may be from (1) movement of the underlayment (2) improper curing of the adhesive and/or (3) improper rolling after laying the floor. My DH did a great job with the underlayment, using new luon (sp?) plywood and a nail gun, so I think it is a combination of 2 & 3, because I read the instructions on the adhesive container (silly, eh?) and noted it should cure 20 minutes before laying the floor. My DH said we could lay the vinyl out right away. Also, we only rolled it with our own weight and a rolling pin (!). My questions are: Would rolling it now with the recommended 75# roller make any difference at this point? Is there anything else I can do? I can't stand walking across this floor -- it sounds like walking with gum stuck to your shoe. I am so disappointed with this whole project that I would even take back the nearly indestructable harvest gold 70's floor that we replaced! Hope someone can help...

Old 08-02-06, 02:35 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is important to use the same brand of glue as your flooring. If the manufacturer does not offer their own brand of adhesive, be sure that you used the product they recommend. It is also important to follow adhesive manufacturer's instructions. Some manufacturer's recommend letting adhesive set to develop tack so it will stick and provide the best bond. Recommended trowel size should have been used to make sure recommended amount of adhesive was applied for proper adhesion.

Adhesive may in time stick. In the meantime, you can roll again. Indentations from rolling appliances on vinyl tend to be permanent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: