Peel and stick tile install questions

Old 08-07-06, 05:18 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peel and stick tile install questions

I'm updating a kitchen and as part of the project I would like to install peel and stick vinyl tiles for the flooring. the current flooring is linoleum. After looking through this forum, I am under the impression that it is OK to install the tiles over top of the linoleum as long as the linoleum is iun good shape. unfortunately, some areas of the linoleum has lifted. is it sill ok to install over top of the linoleum? any suggestions on securing the lifted areas so i don't have to remove the entire sheet? or is it just best to remove the flooring and subfloor and replace? my problem with that is how to do it with all the cabinets and appliances in place. thanks for any help.

Old 08-08-06, 07:12 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would not install linoleum squares over existing linoleum, even if it's in good shape. I did this in my bathroom and within a few days the squares separated. It looked perfect when I laid them down, too. $90 down the drain. The linoleum tends to be too smooth to allow the squares to stay in place and as you walk on them, they tend to separate. I eventually had a 1/2" gap in some places where we walk. We lived with that for a while then I nailed down luan underlayment over everything and laid down new squares. This time they were perfect and haven't moved in the years since I laid them down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: