How hard is it to remove vinyl flooring?

Old 08-08-06, 01:23 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How hard is it to remove vinyl flooring?

I recently bought a brand new house and choose vinyl flooring for the kitchen. Now I thinking about installing ceramic tile flooring and removing the newly builder installed vinyl flooring. From what I've read, I need to first score the vinyl flooring, add a chemical stripper, and use a long handle scrapper to remove the vinyl. How hard is it to remove vinyl flooring? Is it a difficult task to take on?

Thanks in advanced!

Old 08-08-06, 01:41 PM
D
Whoa, hold the phone, its not wallpaper.

Lift a register and get a prybar between the underlayment and the subfloor and start prying up the vinyl and underlaymeny at one fell swoop. Chemical strippers are potenyial bond breakers for any future flooring installations.

Old 08-08-06, 02:59 PM
C
Ah, but what if they glued the underlayment to the subflooring? That's the situation I face now, and I haven't a clue as to how to do get the old floor, paper backing, and adhesive up.

Old 08-08-06, 05:42 PM
D
Removing the underlayment from OSB is no big deal even if it's glued. Its not like theyuse a full spread of adhesive under the stuff. The underlayment has to go anyhow if you plan to use a ceramic or stone tile.

Old 08-08-06, 06:18 PM
C
In this case, they actually did use a full layer of adhesive. It's one of several really stupid things I've found since I started working on the kitchen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: