Installing Underlayment Over Subfloor

Old 08-09-06, 04:23 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Underlayment Over Subfloor

I would like to install 1/4 inch fir plywood over a new 3/4 inch T&G strand board sub floor to prep for vinyl self stick tile. QUESTION: --- I PURCHASED 1 7/8 INCH UNDERLAYMENT NAILS WHICH WILL BE TO LONG(ARE THESE NAILS OK)?? THEY WILL GO THUR INTO CRAW SPACE ABOUT 3/4 OF AN INCH. Is it better to use wood screws? what spacing do I used at edges and field for screws or the nails? ALSO DO I NEED TO APPLY ADHESIVE?? --- Thanks, swissbob

Last edited by swissbob; 08-09-06 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-14-06, 05:09 PM
S
I got some shorter underlayment nails 1 1/4 inches and installed the fir plywood using 6 inch spacing. The Home Depot flooring department associates told me not to apply any additional glue. I used some crack filler over the nail heads and seams between the plywood sheets.
Thanks, swissbob

Old 08-15-06, 07:49 AM
I'm no expert but I have read that you don't wan't to go past the sub floor depth meaning if you have 1/4in + 3/4in = 1 inch.
You have almost 1in longer if I am reading this right. The reason given is to avoid screwing into the Joists because this could cause a squeeky floor later. I used 1in Crown Staples and applied with an Air Gun, you could use Ring Shank nails if you don't have a Air Powered Stapler.

Old 08-15-06, 03:41 PM
S
Hi Warren, thanks for your comments on the underlayment nails. The nails I used were ring shank with 3/16 heads 1 1/8 inches long. The sub floor was put down with a nail gun and adhessive over the 2x8 joist. This is a new room that I had a contractor add onto my home. swissbob

Old 08-16-06, 06:13 AM
Thumbs up

Your welcome, perfect nail choice and 1 1/8 should not cause any issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: