Resurfacing an older white vinyl floor

Old 08-15-06, 04:56 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Resurfacing an older white vinyl floor

We put in a large expanse of white Armstrong Solarion vinyl flooring when this house was new 12 years ago. There are no tears & few dents, but the surface is pretty worn on the main path through the kitchen. Much of the rest of the floor looks just fine, or at least as "fine" as white flooring ever gets. (What a mistake!) We would love to replace the floor, but it covers so much area that everytime we consider it the cost is just too high for us right now.

Whenever I "hands & knees, hard-scrub" the floor even the wear path looks pretty good, but it doesn't last.

Is there anything I can do to truly refinish this floor? What kind of products would a commercial refinisher use? I see some pretty bad looking floors at my school come back to life when our building engineers polish them--is there some simlar result I could acheive ay home?

Old 08-25-06, 09:27 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor can be stripped, sealed with a couple coats of sealer, and coated with a couple coats of polish. You will find that the products sold at janitorial supply stores are better than those sold in cleaning aisles. If cleaned with pH neutral cleaner, the polish holds up quite well. Depending on amount of traffic, the floor should not need stripping more than once a year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: