passthebengay needs help!! Vinyl flooring

Old 09-10-06, 04:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question passthebengay needs help!! Vinyl flooring

OK, here's the story—there was water damage in the bathroom, so needed part of a new sub floor. Done. Now need new linoleum and the fix it guy took up the linoleum, leaving the felt backing and glue. (Or whatever the backing is...titanium? LOL!) My mission is to take that stuff off. I was told to mist it down with a water and vinegar solution to moisten and loosen it up. I spent 4 hours scraping and have about a 6" square to show for it. The vinyl was put down in the 70's, so there is a possibility (I hear) that the felt backing might contain asbestos. I have a mask and goggles and work clothes, but I do not have the hazmat suits some sites are saying to get!! What's the opinion on that? No, I haven't had it tested yet.

Also, how did the project go with glue less vinyl? We are thinking of that, but I can’t wrap my mind around that concept. I can't put any baseboard around the area because the builders put down the vinyl, then tiled the walls.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. By the way, this is a first time project for me. :-D

Thanks and pass the Ben Gay!!

Old 09-10-06, 05:10 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If installing new vinyl, simply cover the potentially hazardous felt and adhesive with 1/4" plywood underlayment for vinyl flooring. It will resolve your concerns about asbestos and give you a smooth, clean surface upon which to install new vinyl. The smooth surface will also give you professional looking results.

Old 09-10-06, 06:50 PM
Lightbulb how would it match up to the tiled walls?

The bottom tiles have a tiny lip at the bottom, so how would that work? All 3 walls are tiled 3/4 of the way up the wall. I like that idea, but don't know how to get around the tiles without taking them off.

Thanks!
Pass the Ben Gay

Old 10-17-06, 06:47 PM
Red face Still need answers

The patch was done in the bathroom and is not level with the subfloor that has the vinyl on it. Here is the $64,000 question: Floor leveloer or a whole floor?

We have a bathroom that had a water leak. Part of the sub floor needed replaced, so we hired someone to do that. The area was not wider than 18" and ran the width of the bathtub. Now it is time to put the floor down and we found that the people who built the sugar shack put vinyl down over the sub floor. The area that was fixed is lower than the vinyl. I thought we could use leveler (whatever the stuff in Menards is that you sand until level), then put plywood over the entire floor, so defects don't show. My hubby thinks this is not the way to go, and wants to have someone do a new sub floor. I am so confused!! I would appreciate any advice on how to fix a floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: