Moldy spongy subfloor

Old 09-15-06, 05:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moldy spongy subfloor

We are replacing our ripped vinyl flooring in the entry/laundry area and peeled it back to discover mold and some spongy areas in the subfloor. We knew there was water damage, so this is not a huge surprise. Our home is from the early 1900's and the flooring cover under the one we are taking out is very old. It is the subfloor under that that needs help. The old floor cover is very worn, but you can make out splotches here and there as the pattern. Do we probably need to worry about asbestos and if so, are we better off removing it damp/wet? Should we put a fan under the vinyl and dry it some first? I am not sure which is the bigger concern....the mold or the possible asbestos at this time. It is a section about 2 feet by 5 feet that will need to come out. There is plenty of room to build up, too after this. We are hiring someone to do most of this at this point and he said removing wet is the better option. Should it be surfaced dried some, or will that not make any difference on the mold issue? We could put a fan under the old vinyl and on top of the OLD OLD flooring as it is very loose). I am not sure he will be as concerned about the health issues as we with 4 children(one a toddler) will be. A little description of the room. It has 3 doors, one to the outside, one to our only bathroom and one to the kitchen. We can close all of them while it gets pulled out. The back of the vinyl that is leaving has mostly black and red molds and some white.

Old 09-15-06, 05:38 AM
C
You should bleach the mold. Don't clean it, just saturate the molded area and let it sit. It is better to leave it wet. When you dry a molded surface the spores when disturbed will become air-born,which is what causes molds to spread. Next time you have water damage rent what is called a dehumidifier and it will dry things in a timely fashion. Best of luck.

Old 09-15-06, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
The biggest danger from both mold and asbestos is when it is airborne, harder for it to be airborne while wet/damp. Make sure that area is closed off from the rest of the house while the work is being done.

Old 09-15-06, 06:40 AM
M
Well, the contractor that is coming to work on it made it sound like he will just seal it?? We had discussed that that area would probably have to come out when he came to look at it earlier and had asked if we would need a carpenter for that part. He said no it was not a problem that he has done that many times....now he sounds like that wasn't his plan. I really do not want to cover that area up, and he may agree when he sees it. Do you believe it should be removed? It is spongy and mishappen which makes me think nearly impossible to dry out well and how do I know there is no mold growing on the top side of the original boards at the bottom if we do not remove the old particle board on top?? The sealant may prevent it from going to the new vinyl, but not the other way(down), right?

Old 09-15-06, 10:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't leave any deteriated wood.

Old 09-15-06, 12:28 PM
M
He removed everything he could and under the nearby wall as far as he could(I have a thread in walls/ceilings now too). We are going to air dry it over night and hopefully our dehumidifier works and we can get that going this afternoon to help it along. The original floor is quite wet, but solid, so we stopped there. He did rub some powder stuff on that to draw out the moisture he said.

Old 09-15-06, 05:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a plan, hope it all comes out well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: