Adhesive was used with tape down sheet vinyl

Old 10-07-06, 01:03 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Adhesive was used with tape down sheet vinyl

A friend of mine had someone help him lay down the sheet vinyl flooring, designed to be taped down. This helper insisted on using glue/adhesive. My friend is telling me that there is a very bad smell now and I'm very concerned about possible chemical reactions between the adhesive and the backing of the tape down floor. (Armstrong ASHTON no-glue vinyl)
Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I've searched on Armstrongs site, but couldn't find any warnings about using adhesive w/the tape down floor. My friend has a dog, who was very old, but died a few days after this installation & the odor began. Maybe there is no connection, but I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me something.
Thanks!

Old 10-07-06, 02:05 PM
T
The odor is very likely the result of a chemical reaction which resulted in off-gassing. This could have been a reaction between the adhesive used and the adhesive in the tape and/or the tiles. Some people and animals are very sensitive to off-gassing odors which can result in allergic reactions and respiratory problems. Off-gassing can be a matter of life and death. If there are small children, pets, allergy or respiratory suffers in the home, off-gassing should be a concern. Pets and small children are closer to the floor and are subject to greater exposure. There are many off-gassing chemicals, but formaldehyde is the one that seems to have gotten the most attention.

We have become more aware of the importance of good air quality in the home. Flooring products, in particular, have been noted to be pollutants, but many household products contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs)--carpet, paints, adhesives, cleaning supplies, vinyl floor coverings, and others. The best way to avoid problems is to always use low or no VOC products. When a product is used that emits VOCs, it is best to work in well-ventilated area. In poorly ventilated homes, off-gassing is a major concern, especially for sensitive individuals.

Old 10-08-06, 11:34 AM
L
Thanks!

Thank you very much for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: