Bathroom linoleum

Old 10-18-06, 10:38 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom linoleum

We are noticing that the vinyl around the tub inthe bathroom is peeling and as a result causing mold under it.
It is still in quite early stages.

Why does this happen ? What should we do to fix the mold and the vinyl ? if we need to replace it, can we do it just for the area affected or for the whole bathroom ?

Please help.

THanks

Last edited by kptbls; 10-18-06 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-18-06, 11:53 AM
isn't there any kind of trim holding down the edge of the vinyl where it meets the tub?

there's some inexpensive vinyl trim that comes in a roll, it's got a groove down the center that you bend to form an "L" shape. it's got a strip of adhesive on each side with a peel off backing. you adhere it to both the flooring and the side of the tub. it keeps the flooring held down, and also keeps water that drips down the side of the tub from getting under the flooring. go getcha some!

first though, kill any mold that's under the floor. use bleach or something.

Old 10-18-06, 12:21 PM
K
Thank you so much for the advise. I will put the trim.

Regarding the mold, should I just clean/rub it off iwth house hold bleach or do i need any tool/scrub for it.

THis is my first home in this country so not familiar.

THanks

Old 10-18-06, 01:06 PM
yes, i would either get some X-14 (bathroom mold killer sold everywhere) or put 1/2 bleach 1/2 water in a spray bottle. pull back the flooring a little & spray it down underneath there pretty good. wipe off any mold you can see. let it air dry a day or so, so you know it's dry, clean & all the mold is killed. then do the trim.

Old 10-18-06, 02:11 PM
T
Mold and mildew spores are everywhere in the air. When they find a moist, soiled, poorly ventilated surface, they tend to settle in. 'Kill' mold and mildew with disinfectant as indicated.

Vinyl should have had a bead of silicone caulk to seal the gap along the tub. After cleaning area beneath vinyl, a blow dryer can be used to soften vinyl to take the 'curl' out of it. Vinyl flooring adhesive can be used to to glue the vinyl down. Use the blow dryer and your and to smooth the vinyl and press it down into adhesive. Place something heavy on top vinyl to hold it in place. Take care that item is protected from excess adhesive that may squeeze out from under vinyl. Wipe up any excess adhesive off vinyl with mineral spirits. Once vinyl has set, run a bead of silicone caulk in a color that complements vinyl to seal the gap. The caulk will prevent future moisture from getting under vinyl.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: