Help! Temporary flooring?

Old 10-22-06, 12:53 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Temporary flooring?

We need temporay flooring in the bathrooms, what would you suggest?

We are in the planning stages of a bathroom remodel, but we have a need for flooring now. Sooner than later for health and moisture reasons.

When the original builder installed the sheet vinyl, the proper adhesive was not used and the floor was never properly adheared. The floor picks up fairly easily with flaking chunks of dried adhesive everywhere. Re-gluing is not an option at this point.

Eventually we would like to have ceramic/porcelain tile, but what do we do until we are ready?

The sub-floor is OSB. I was wondering if using a product like Durham's hard water putty to fill gaps and smooth out sub-floor; then sand and prime with Kilz original primer as a prep for self stick vinyl tile... Or could I get by (eek it out) by doing the same prep and using a floor/porch paint in the interm?

Uggggh.... Currently we are in the home stretch of a kitchen remodel, that had more 'professional' mishaps than imaginable and took much longer than planned... We need a rest before we start major work in the bathrooms.

We'd appreciate any advice, ideas or suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-26-06, 11:51 AM
T
Why not remove vinyl and scrape off adhesive? Install 1/4" plywood underlayment for vinyl floors. This will give you a smooth, clean surface on which you can install sheet vinyl or vinyl tiles without adhesion problems.

Installing ceramic tile will require application of thinset to floor over which concrete underlayment board is installed. Painted OSB will likely cause adhesion problems.

Old 10-26-06, 07:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
I don't know what size your bath floor is but often you can buy 6'x9' vinyl rugs fairly cheap. That's what I did temporarily almost 10 yrs ago - hopefully I'll gut and redo the bath room next yr

While a 1/4" underlayment is preffered for both sheet vinyl and vinyl tiles, you can install both to the subfloor - it just won't last as long and may not look as good. They sell a floor patching compound to fill the gaps but I usually use durabond [I always seem to have some on hand] Rock hard putty should work as well. You don't need to prime the floor if you use adhesive, I don't know about the self stick tiles.

Old 11-13-06, 10:06 PM
S
Another option you might want to consider is one of the no glue sheet vinyls on the market. I know Tarkett and congolium make some and would imagine some others may also. The stuff is very simple to install, does not use adhesives so it's a big vinyl throw rug in effect, is very floor prep friendly, and wouldn't add any more work to the redo later other than rolling it up and perhaps useing it in the shop or to line the dog house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: