Sheet vinyl in concrete floor garage

Old 11-09-06, 07:59 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sheet vinyl in concrete floor garage

I've got a garage that was finished off - a bedroom and full bath was added. I am using it as a gym. The previous owners put down stick tiles directly on the concrete floor. They might have cleaned the floor a little after the dog that they kept there, but it doesn't smell like it.

I want to peel up the stick tiles, scour the heck out of the floor and put down .... something. First thought was sheet vinyl. I asked a rep at a hardware store if the sheet vinyl that doesn't need glue would work in that environment - concrete slab floor, not air conditioned all the time, no water, but can get humid. I was told that it wouldn't work - I'd get mold.

I am suspicious of that as I don't have mold now with the stick tiles - I just don't like them and need to clean underneath them. What would be the best way to redo the floor? I have no experience doing floors at all, but have a friend who is quite handy who would be able to help.

thanks,
k

Old 11-10-06, 08:57 AM
S
Have you considered VCT? The current tiles are a form of it, but a much lighter duty and I'd be a bit concerned about a gym application. The VCT is very easy to install and it's used in schools, office buildings, hospitals, and so on due to it's extreme durability. The reason you aren't experiencing mold now is due to the "glued down" installation. There is no air between the tile and concrete to feed potential mold. The no glue vinyl will have air under it and the concrete and is impervious giving any moisture that gets under it no place to go and nothing to do but brew. Concrete is fairly absorbent and will wick moisture. You can test for that by laying a piece of plastic on the floor and tapping the edges down. Pull it up a few days later to see if there's moisture under it. My guess would be that there probably won't be much or the existing tiles would be having installation issues, but it doesn't take much to grow mold.

Old 11-11-06, 01:53 PM
H
floating ninyl

There is an excellent product out that is a floating vinyl or also called fiber flooring. Dif. names by dif. manufactures. It is not affected by moisture and does not get glued. Two manufactures of this are Tarkett and Armstrong. This product does not need leveler under it also. It is a little more expensive but well worth it in the end.

Old 11-11-06, 05:36 PM
S
Hmm... I may have missed something so forgive me if I did, but I believe that's the material being discussed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: