old floor under cabinets

Old 01-27-07, 09:16 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old floor under cabinets

As I remove the old flooring in the kitchen, PLEASE tell me I don't have to pull the cabinets and remove the flooring under there. I'll have to lay new underlayment, I'm sure.

Old 01-27-07, 01:23 PM
S
Not normally. The only time it may be necessary is if there are structural issues with the sub floor and that's the only way you can get to it. What is the existing flooring and what are you using to replace it?

Old 02-17-07, 12:02 PM
P
old flooring under cabinets

one layer of self adhesive tile, one layer (I think) of old linoleum and then subfloor - masonite, looks like. I was hoping to cut out and not have to scrape. I used a skill saw set to about 1/4" to cut off a slice and it looks like that'll take me down to the original subfloor. House built in '35 and the rest of the house is old oak stripping, but I don't think there is oak under the kitchen floor.

Old 02-17-07, 01:44 PM
S
I'm not saying it's definitely the case, but, with flooring in a place that old, it's very possible the existing flooring may contain asbestos. It's also likely the floor under all that is Oak if that's what is in the rest of the house. It was pretty common in that era to put down oak floors through out. I'd be careful in the tear up phase 'cause you may get a pleasant surprise and only have to refinish what you've got instead of replacing flooring. This is in no way to be construed as advice, but check out this little "asbestos" discussion just recently engaged in.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=294266

Old 02-18-07, 06:45 AM
P
Talking old floors under cabinets

Well, Smokey, I had thought about putting in wood laminate. Guess I'll just have to do a little more "digging" - and I'll wear a mask anyway, cause I've got one. Nothing is ever straight forward in an old house.......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: