Question on Asbestos flooring

Old 01-29-07, 01:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on Asbestos flooring

I want to remove the old vinyl floor in my home. Theres two layers seperated by plywood. The forst layer (Mid 1980's) has a light gray almost paper like backer to it. The second layer (Very early 1970's) is unknown at this time. Would I be doing any harm if I were to remove the layers by pulling up the whole sheets of plywood that there adhered to? I want to lay down new plywood to accomadate ceramic tiles. Tileing on top of whats there now will cause the floor to be to high compared to the next room.

Thanks

Old 01-29-07, 09:00 PM
S
Chances are very good the plywood was installed over the old floor due to asbestos concerns. There are two ways to deal with the stuff and one is to encapsulate it which is the least expensive way to go and the one most often used. If you can get to some of the bottom layer, you can have it tested for asbestos. If none is present, go for it.

Old 02-03-07, 06:40 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
We just layed our new floor down in spring of 06 and we had asbestos tile down. They were shot, coming up just by getting my sock caught on them. (We bought the house in jan 06) Can't believe the previous owners didn't do it. Anyway I asked many contractors and professionals and it was about 50 50 on the whole asbestos removal. But almost all of them told me that I would have to grind every one of those tile up and sniff the dust to even get the asbestos into my body. Others told me to have it professionally removed, which is crazy expensive!!!! I would remove every layer and lay new down. Good Luck

Old 02-04-07, 10:25 AM
M
I'm with your first 50%. The whole asbestos thing is as big a scam as radon mitigation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: