surface prep

Old 02-08-07, 10:20 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
surface prep

this will be elementary for many, i'm sure. 1. office/family room - Want to install lino on plywood subfloor - spaces in between the sheets, just seems that i must do something to fill and smooth. 2. laundry room/ want to install lino on poured concrete (again, quite rough) that butts up against a plywood floor thereby creating a crack.

What do i do? is there some sort of tape to use to cover the transition in the laundry room.

I am very handy, have some background in construction and generally believe that i can do this or anything - however; would appreciate input also as to whether or not i should just hire someone.

Old 02-09-07, 04:37 AM
S
there is a concrete-type leveling mixture designed for prepping subfloors for sheet vinyl. You can find it in your local home center. You mix it up and trowel it down, allow it to cure, and this will ease the transition between the two. if they are slightly irregular, you may need to feather it out quite a distance to get a smooth transition. It looks like an easy job but its a bit tricky because the leveling compound has a short pot life. It also tends to get very hot in the pot after mixing if you mix it in large quantities.

Old 02-09-07, 02:14 PM
Over the plywood, your going to need a hardwood underlayment, like SurePly, MultiPly, or Halex. It is ¼" thick. If you go over the plywood, it will turn the sheet vinyl yellow.

Over the concrete a product like ARDEX SD-F or Mapei PlaniPatch, to smoothe the surface with a skimcoat or two.

The substrate has to be as smooth as a babies bottom. Any imperfection in the substrate, will telegragh, and be seen once the sheet vinyl is installed.

Old 02-10-07, 06:45 AM
S
Another option would be to use one of the no-glue vinyls on the market now. They're very installation friendly, require minimal prep, and are not glued. Full spread vinyl glue shrinks as it dries and pulls the vinyl down into any little imperfection in the floor. This will telegraph said imperfection to the surface of the vinyl rendering it visible. Consequently, with full spread vinyls, prep is the job, the vinyl is just the skin over it. But, with no-glue vinyl, you don't have this problem. If you insist on full spread glued material, I'd suggest picking one with a non shiny surface and a bit darker color. These tend to hide the imperfections better.

Old 02-16-07, 10:02 AM
D
to the 3 of you who responded to me/vinyl prep

Perhaps i should have mentioned that the vinyl product is from HD, requires only taping along the perimeter and crosses at doors. Does surfact prep requirements differ for that?? thanks.

Old 02-16-07, 12:06 PM
S
If what you got is what I think it is, you've already got the stuff I was suggesting. It's very floor prep friendly and, in many instances, doesn't require additional underlayment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: