Remove vinyl and glued underlayment

Old 02-28-07, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Remove vinyl and glued underlayment

We would like to remove the vinyl floor in our kitchen and install a laminate floor.
We cannot install the laminate over the old floor due to height problems.
My question is, the 1/4 underlayment was glued to the particle board subfloor.
Is there any to get the underlayment up without destroying the subfloor, or am I going to have to cut underlayment and particle board into pieces and remove it that way.
There is no asbestoes problem to deal with.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-28-07, 09:20 PM
S
It must not have been a pro that did it. It isn't necessary or recommended to glue underlayment down. Are you absolutely certain it's glued? It's entirely possible your worst fears about the job may be realized if it actually is glued down. Chances are, they used fasteners also. Do you have access to a good solid ice scraper or spud bar? If so, try working it between the layers to see if they'll come apart. If they will, it may not be pretty, but you might be able to get them apart. It certainly can't hurt to try. You can always resort to the old rip and tear method later if it doesn't work.

Old 03-01-07, 04:43 AM
Yes, the underlayment is glued down. Last year we did our utility room and it was glued in there also. I tried to scrape it off the subfloor but where the glue was it did not come off. We thought about sanding the rest off, but it was a small room so we took the subfloor up and replaced everything.

Old 03-01-07, 07:48 AM
S
Well, in that case, you're experienced and perhaps it won't take as long this time. Had they used fasteners, (nails, staples, screws), or was it just glued? Out of curiosity, if it was just glued, how did that effect the floor? were there humps or bubbles in the underlayment? It's always nice to be able to site case history when warning folks about improper installation methods, but it's also nice to be able to say things like, "this isn't right, but it's worked in the past".

Old 03-01-07, 01:00 PM
The floor was glued and stapled. Why, I do not know! Was done by a professional though.
As far as the floor there was no problems, no humps or bad spots. Just has one squeak, guess there is no glue there.
We are going to do a little over 300 square feet and I see alot of work ahead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: