Polyurethane has ruined my linoleum!!

Old 03-04-07, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Polyurethane has ruined my linoleum!!

A while back my husband dragged an old couch with wooden legs along our standard linoleum kitchen floor.(yes, very bad, i know. i kept telling him that.) Of course where he dragged it it took off the finish and left it all scratched up.

After a while dirt starting getting stuck it in it and it appeared much darker than the rest of the floor, which is a very light blue/white. I couldn't get it clean no matter what I did.

I told my husband we needed to reseal/refinish that spot. The spot is actually a long streak in the floor.

He grabbed a can of polyurethane, which was the only info I could find on refinishing linoleum flooring.

Now that streak is yellow! It is very noticeable, and much worse than it looked before.

We used paint thinner (more info we found online) to remove it but all it did was stink up the kitchen.

I want to know what to use to remove the polyurethane which has stained the spot on my floor yellow. And I want to know what to use to reseal it *properly*.

This is a rental house, by the way. So it's imperative that this problem be fixed.

Thanks!!

--Ash

Old 03-15-07, 06:28 AM
F
The condition of your flooring is not properly repairable as you have described it.

The floor may need replaced.

However, if it isnt linoleum, but instead a resilient sheet vinyl, it may be possible to cut out the bad spots at the joints and fill in then seal the seams IF you or the owner has any of the resilient flooring left over from the original install.

Consult a local professional as this is not a do it yourself project, if it can even be done successfully at all.

Old 03-17-07, 10:25 PM
Thanks for replying.

Looks like we just may have to live with it.

As it is, there was recently a leak below the kitchen floor; and when my husband went underneath the house to check it out in detail, he discovered that our landlord had used particle board as the main floor (!!!), which is deteriorating and making the floor itself begin to slope.

Our bathroom floor is rotted, too. It's beginning to sink around the toilet. We've alerted our landlord. Maybe the yellowing of the polyurethane will be the least of our troubles.

Old 03-28-07, 10:41 PM
no more yellow polyurethane

We got the yellow polyurethane off the linoleum floor.

While the luster is most certainly gone and it looks a beat beat up in that one spot, it looks tons better.

My husband had bought some sort of rough 'buffing' accessory to attach to his drill a while back when we were getting year old foam off an old floor.

Whatever that thing is, he knocked the yellow polyurethane finish right off.

I'm satisfied.

Old 03-29-07, 06:11 AM
F
right along with stripping off the resilient flooring's wear layer.

I am guessing you arent going to be mentioning this to the property owner.

Old 03-29-07, 02:39 PM
The resilient protective layer had already been stripped off as I stated in my first post. The whole reason we put down a layer of polyurethane was to restore it after searching numerous websites for advice.

Unfortunately, we never saw the information that said that regular polyurethane leaves a yellow stain on whatever it touches.

The landlord has actually been in the kitchen lately. He's come to survey the sloping of the floor due to the damage a water leak has caused. The flooring beneath the linoleum is made of one layer of particle board and one layer of thin plywood. Obviously a water leak from several months ago (of which our elderly landlord was informed of at the time) has wreaked havoc on this floor. Even our bathroom floor is rotting due to a water leak.

I know now that water based polyurethane is the way to go on the damaged strip of the linoleum.

By the way, we're not even sure our landlord cares about the floor sloping and rotting. He's bought us a new fridge. I hope that's not in place of where his concern should be.

We're the kind of tenants who do all we can if we accidentally mess something up. If scratch the trim, I touch up paint; if old outlets fall apart due to being old, we replace them with new ones. This house has not always been in the best shape. It's in better shape now than it was when we moved in.

The bathroom had carpet and no window or exhaust fan. Now it has linoleum (my husband did all that) and an exhaust fan the landlord finally realized was needed. We removed 2 rooms worth of moldy years old carpet; and refinished the floors in both those rooms. In fact, we try to do anything the house needs ourselves, to save our landlord money. We typically only complain about stuff if it's a hazard to our health or it involves structural damage (i.e. moldy carpet and rotting, sloping floor).

When the floor became scratched, we sought to fix it. It was scratched then, and it's scratched now. Only now it's not yellow.

I'm a neat freak perfectionist and this has driven me crazy since the day it happened.

Old 03-29-07, 08:16 PM
F
that may have been an innaccurate assumption on my part from my own experience with some of our past tenants destroying our properties time and time again.

Old 03-29-07, 10:09 PM
Oh I completely understand about that. I worked for a property management company at one time and many people are very disrespectful of property that is not theirs.

In the long run, it may have to be replaced, for various reasons. We're prepared to do anything on our part to make the house decent and presentable.

The place I rented before this one was falling apart the whole time I lived there due to moldy conditions caused by structural damage of tree roots caving a wall in. That place was built in the thirties and made from cinder blocks. It was a nightmare.

It honestly looked tons worse when we moved out than when we moved in. Luckily the property management company realized that the mold and mildew and other rot was beyond our control.

Ya know, if I break a light fixture, I promptly go out and replace it with my own money. If someone thought that particle board walling was a good idea to put behind the kitchen sink where water constantly splashes, then it's kind of beyond my control. All in all, I'm also willing to admit to making mistakes and doing all I can to fix them.

Old 03-30-07, 05:50 AM
F
Agreed ... and more people should have your attitude.

The flip side is that some property managment companies and owners (e.g. slumlords) do everything below standards as cheaply as possible. Now for the life of me I can not condone that practice, but I can understand why they do it, so as not to invest too heavily in a place someone may beat down and abuse.

There is some ebb and flow on both sides of the coin.

I know when we renovate properties we try to make them so we would want to live in them, and while there are certainly some fantastic and highly responsible individuals, there are also the people that could care less because they havent worked for the investment or achieved a certain level of maturity.

Unfortunately the only resources we really have for determinations are references and credit reports.

I am glad your issue is rectified.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: